GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Mechanic

Talking I Just Upgraded To A 2013!

Hey all,

I haven't been on here in awhile due to work and school. This is the first time I've had a chance to browse the forum in about 3-4 months. Getting onto the reason for posting, my dad had recieved a letter from the dealership we usually buy from during Chevy Truck Month last month. Apparently when your odometer hits a certain mileage (around 20,000) it sends an notification to the dealership, and this is considered to be the "sweet spot" per say for them to resell the vehicle. Anyways long story short they gave him an awesome deal and he convinced me to trade my truck in for a 2013.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures yet to post, but as soon as the weather breaks and I can shine her up I will definately post a few. My previous truck was a Victory Red 2010 Silverado Crew Cab w/ 5.3 that I traded in with 60,000 on the odometer. The new one is a 2013 black crew cab with the 5.3, and I must say there is a VERY big and noticable difference between the two.

First off, from the day I bought my 2010 I could always hear knocking in the engine, especially when it was colder out. After doing research this was from the lifters sticking when the engine first started, and appeared to be very prominent with a lot of the 5.3 engines during that year. GM has now fixed this issue. Second, I ran a Bully Dog Triple Dog GT in my previous truck with the Premium setting, which has the best increase in horepower, torque, and gas mileage. The only downfall was that you have to run 91 octane or higher lol, but after the increase in gas mileage it pays for itself. The 2013 has just as much power as my 2010 did when it had the programmer installed. Also, the suspension feels much smoother even after I put my wheels back on.

All in all I feel that GM has done a great job with improving their Silverado/Sierra line in the last few years. Has anyone else purchased/driven a 2013 that can comment?

Thanks for reading!

- Luke
    2010 Red Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LT
    Blacked Out
    15% Tint all around
    22" KMC Slide Series Black Chrome Rims
    305/45/22R Nitto Dune Grappler Tires
    ReadyLift Leveling Kit
    K&N CAI
    IPCW Black Halo Projector LED Headlights
    IPCW Black Third brake Light
    IPCW Black LED Taillights
    Street Scene Front Bumper Valance
    Street Scene Black Chrome Grille
    Black Bowties
    Magnaflow Dual Exhaust
    Alpine Touchscreen Headunit
    4 Kicker RS Componet Speakers
    Kicker 12" L7 subwoofer w/ Kicker ZX1500.1 Amplifier

Congrats on the new truck, it sounds like you are very pleased with the 2013 which is great as long as your happy with it.

On a side note, the "sweet spot" that you are referring to is nothing but clever marketing from the GM. The dealership made money when they sold you the 2010 well instead of waiting until you get tired of the 2010 (average 8 years ownership) they say they "need" your truck because it is at the "sweet spot" age/mileage as a used truck. But the dealership is trying to give you a reason to buy a brand new truck. So now they will make money off of your 2010 while they make money off the brand new 2013 you just traded in for. So in less than 4 years GM have/will make money off of you 3 times.

I am not trying to be Mr. Buzz Kill but I figured I mention their marketing approach and to expect another "sweet spot" letter in another 4 years.
    2002 Chevy Silverado & 1995 Ford Bronco

02 Silverado: 50K miles, 20" Motto Rims, Flowmaster 50 Series
    95 Bronco: 160K miles, 4" Superlift, 33/12.5/15 Mickey Thompson
    01 Civic: 75K miles, DD
    -Erik

Legend

good luck with your new truck. having worked at a dealership All I can say is , the dealership sales persons love you. I know where that sweet spot is alright !

now when you buy a new vehicle every 10-17yrs like me , they say I am creating the problem with the auto industry.

What is the actual MPG with this vehicle and with what octane ?

There is no difference in the 5.3L in the OP's 2010 Silverado and the 2013 Silverado. The 5.3L remained unchanged. The HP and torque specifications are identical.

With this being said, my 2008 X-cab Silverado was a faster pickup than my 2013 CC Silverado with the same spec engine. Reason, the 2013 weighs in at about 500lbs more than my 2008.

As far as knock in the engine, I have found that if you don't use an AC Delco oil filter you will get a little valve train rattle for a few seconds on start up. Neither my 2008 or 2013 5.3L has ever exhibited any noise of this nature using an AC Delco PF48 oil filter.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Blog Entries

Congrats on the new truck! Great to hear positive feedback even if the stats are technically the same!

2011 Silverado LTZ
    6" Fabtech
    Fuel Maverick Wheels
    Toyo MT 35/12.50R/22

Congrats on the new truck! Sounds like a beauty.
    -Nick
    2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 LT, Z71 Appearance Package, Vortec 5.3L AFM
    Victory Red, Ebony Cloth
    Custom pin striping, Bed Rail Protectors, GM Bed Liner, Husky Liner Floor Liners, Tint, Wade In-Channel Window Visors, Tractor Supply Black Low Profile Toolbox

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I would Love to know what your MPG's were on your 2010 with everything done to it.. ? And as said above YES you took the dealership out to dinner But thats OK as long as your happy...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

My 2013 LTZ CC 2WD 5.3L I'm getting ~17.5 MPG with mostly highway and a little around town. I have ~5700 miles on the truck, and we are still on winter blend gas here in St. Louis. Hopefully will get better mileage after ~10K miles.

I use my cruise control religiously, so that helps a bit with my mileage.

My Hypertech module was only giving me ~16.2 MPG, so I discontinued its use until Hypertech updates the firmware.

My old 2008 Silverado X-Cab 5.3L used to get ~18.5 with the same driving with Hypertech usage.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors