GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Water Pump Replacement ~ 2000 Silverado

I've got to replace my waterpump in my 2000 Silverado this weekend,,
    it has the 6.0,, anything special i need to look for?,, I would think it should
    be pretty much like my old 5.7 ,,, just thought i would ask ...
    thanks Rhonda

If you did it on 5.7 L then you should not have and issue doing it on your 6L. Just a heads up, there are 2 different water pumps for the 5.3L, I don't know if that also holds true for the 6.0L, one has a thermostat that is replaceable by itself, with the other you have to replace the thermostat and housing together. When I did mine I had to make multiple trips to the parts store to get the correct thermostat for mine. Look at a parts store website like autozone and you should see both there. The guys at the part store have no idea that there are two. I would get the one that matches your current one and replace the thermostat also. I would make sure that you do not put a fail safe thermostat in it. Here is a quick video on the replacement. The hardest part with mine was getting the clutch fan off.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Jr. Apprentice

I literally just did this last weekend in my 2000 5.3L.

For getting the clutch fan off, what the Youtube link above shows is a good approach, assuming that your serpentine belt is still attached (mine was not).

If yours also is not; make sure to hit the fan nut with some PB Blaster, grab a large enough wrench (1.25+, I used a large adjustable), and use a Strap Wrench (or similar) to provide tension around the water pump pulley to oppose the motion you are applying to the fan nut. You can try to hold both an squeeze together, or rest the Strap wrench against the water neck housing and lightly tap the Adjustable Wrench with a hammer (like in the video).

Hope it went well!
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado LS Z71 Ext Cab + Long Box
    2002 Suzuki SV650S
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi

it went fine,,, change it with no problems,,