GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1999 Silverado 1500 ignition lock cylinder removal and replacement

My 1999 Silverado has 212,000 miles and apparently the tumblers in the ignition lock cyliner are worn out. Can't find any tips on changing this, anyone have any experience with this?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mac daddy View Post
    My 1999 Silverado has 212,000 miles and apparently the tumblers in the ignition lock cyliner are worn out. Can't find any tips on changing this, anyone have any experience with this?
    go to the dealership and have them make a new key using the vehicle ID. most times it is the key. do not copy the key that's not working.

Is there a hole (approx 1/8") oround the cylinder or column? If so put your key in,turn to run,put something in the hole & depress button while pulling out on cylinder,small allen wrench or punch may work.

Default Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    go to the dealership and have them make a new key using the vehicle ID. most times it is the key. do not copy the key that's not working.
    Instead of replacing my ignition lock cylinder, I tried my original key I got when I bought the truck, which I had stored. My 15-yr old, daily-use key, was the problem, not the lock. Thank you for saving me more than an afternoon of time and lots of money.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GMC Sierra 99 View Post
    Instead of replacing my ignition lock cylinder, I tried my original key I got when I bought the truck, which I had stored. My 15-yr old, daily-use key, was the problem, not the lock. Thank you for saving me more than an afternoon of time and lots of money.
    this is why when you purchase a vehicle you must have a back up key . the key that is never used. this is then used as a testing and new key making .

I would get a key made from this master key . then use the copy key not the master.

sometimes this will not work because if you continue to work the worn key to get it to start the cylinder gets damaged. so when the key sticks get new quickly .. good luck ..