GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plugs & Wires

I would only put the factory recommended ac plugs in it. After speaking with my professor and a few GM techs they said that they usually only see coil pack issues when there are not stock plugs in it. I know that it has been debated here before, so no jumping down my throat folks. They all said that the system was designed for the resistance that the AC plugs provide. Although aftermarket companies may make plugs made out of the same materials, they are made for a wide range of vehicles not just GM, so their resistance may not be within the spec that the system was designed for.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Thank for all the info - and the link to the plugs. I just turned 70,000 but was thinking about going ahead and doing this at 75,000. Think I will probably go ahead and make it happen then. Any tips on changing these? Any ones that are hard to get to?
    2007 Chevy Silverado LT1 Crew Cab
    4x4, 5.3 Vortec Flex Fuel with Active Fuel Management

One last item I would mention, and that is when you do install New A/C Delco Plugs(Iridium) they are Already Gaped right out of the Box, Check the Gap, to be sure its set at.....0.40, if the Gap is off.....Do Not Attempt to Re-Gap them, as the Iridium Tip can be Easily Damaged,

****Below is a part of a G.M Service Bulletin, regarding the Gaping of the Plugs(Iridium Tip),

• A New Spark plug has been released for use in the above vehicles. The New Spark Plug has an Iridium Tip instead of the current Platinum tip. Due to the different Tip design, the gap of the spark plug has also changed.

• The New Spark Plug, P/N 12571164 with AC Delco P/N 41-110, is gapped to 1.01 mm (0.040 in) when the spark plug is made.

Notice: The Spark plug Gap is set during Manufacturing and should not be changed or damage to the Spark Plug may result. Any New Spark Plug found to Not be properly gapped should not be used.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 03-15-2013 at 09:47 AM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

great information - thanks a lot!!!
    2007 Chevy Silverado LT1 Crew Cab
    4x4, 5.3 Vortec Flex Fuel with Active Fuel Management

One last Item......The Spark Plug Fastener Tightening Spec's. are 11 lb ft and also make sure to use some.....Anti-Seize Compound on your Spark Plugs, is particularly advisable with Engine Head's made of Aluminum. and use Dielectric Grease, Use your finger to spread the Dielectric Grease around the Ceramic Portion of the Spark Plug. This will help maintain a dry environment for the Spark Plug to Wire connection. The Grease will also make Re-Installation of the Plug Wires easier.

Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 06-10-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Sr. Apprentice

A careful inspection of your plug wires can avoid any problems.An arcing plug wire can cause a weak spark or no spark at all in the cylinder with the bad wire. This makes your car run rough and can affect your gas mileage. It can also cause unburned fuel to pass into the exhaust system where it can harm your catalytic convertor.so best time to check plug wire while you change your spark plug.if you don't ccheck it properly then you will get heavy loss.

I've replaced my plugs twice now - every 75,000 miles. I replaced the wires both times as well. Make sure you get your gap size from a reputable source, and by that I mean, the owners manual or possibly a sticker under your hood. The last time I purchased plugs, the store printed my gap size on the receipt and it was not the correct size.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

chevys love NGK plugs, and if you can, upgrade the ignition coil as powerful as you can.
    I really want good 8mil wires for my truck, but they're so expensive....
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12