GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Annoying Click Coming From Behind Heating/Cooling Controls When A/C Is On...

I noticed this back in the fall when it was warmer and was running the A/C but forgot about it over these colder months. What it is is just a loud click that comes from somewhere in the dash behind the cooling controls every 7-10 seconds while the A/C is on. What is this from? It's like it's sending a signal to the compressor to cut it off and on way too frequently, but I'm not even sure if anything is even happening when the click occurs.

It's not a huge deal but clicks, rattles, and other noises in my vehicles that others don't notice drive me crazy. In this case it's not too loud...I can't hear it when listening to the radio at my typical volume level... but it's easily heard at cruising speed with the volume really low so it is significant to overcome a little audio as well as cabin noise.

So am I just weird and this is typical or what? I'm guessing it's just me.

BTW: 2005 Silverado with the 5.3L and Dual Climate Control (all silverados have this though right?)
    WAR EAGLE!!!

It's the actuator for the blend door, mine's been doing the rattle for a couple of years. It gets worse over time and will cause your A/C to blow hot air while it is commanded to blow cold. I was quoted $175 plus labor at the dealer and that was cost price. I plan on having mine repaired before A/C season kicks in.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by adampaul1964 View Post
    It's the actuator for the blend door, mine's been doing the rattle for a couple of years. It gets worse over time and will cause your A/C to blow hot air while it is commanded to blow cold. I was quoted $175 plus labor at the dealer and that was cost price. I plan on having mine repaired before A/C season kicks in.
    Appreciate the reply. I'll check out my repair manual and see if it mentions anything about that part/component. Let me know what it costs you if you get yours fixed in the near future.
    WAR EAGLE!!!

Just wanted to bump this and add that I actually hear the sound even when the A/C is off now. Not sure if it's gotten louder or what has changed though for me to notice it now. With regards to the blend door, is that a tough fix for the do it yourselfer?
    WAR EAGLE!!!

I guess that it matters which one it is! Here is a great writeup by @SurrealOne on replacing the passenger side actuator. http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...ght=blend+door

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Thanks Pikey! That is a very good write up.

Maybe someone else can chime in and help me decide which actuator may be giving me trouble.

*Edit* I do a have a scanner tool so I could test it that way. However, since mine is just making noises and hasn't yet blown the wrong blend of air, it may not read as being bad just yet.
    WAR EAGLE!!!