GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    @surreal your transmission will be fine, but your 3rd and 4th clutch bands will be shot. You could always go no lockup converter and save your transmission wear and tear. That's what I did with 35" tires versus a regear.
    I regeared it in early 2012. I just don't know how much life I'll get out of the tranny because I don't know how long 35's were on it prior to my ownership. However, when I start to encounter problems I'll do like I always do -- and take it as an opportunity to upgrade!

$467.00 (1.99%) per mth for another 33mths for my 2010 Sierra purchased new in 2011. Traded in a 1996 Silverado and a couple grand down.
    2010 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB (Silver) 4x4, ReadyLift 2.5" Level Kit, 305/60/18 Dick Cepek Mud Country, Go Rhino Nerf Bars, Husky Liners front and rear, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, Custom tuned. 4:11's

For my 2002 ext cab silverado 2wd 5.3L I put $4,000 down plus $3000 cash back from GM for a total of $7000! My payments were $242 a month for 5 years. I sold that and paid $11,000 cash (sold two trucks) for my 2003 yukon xl with 120000 miles. When I totaled that truck, I got the 2005 for what the insurance company gave me, $11000 with 130000 miles.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Purchased new year end closeout model CC LT with 23 miles.
    $0
    $0
    Many years a go I got in the habit of driving my vehicles as long as possible (last truck 12 years and I still drive it on weekends). When the vehicle is paid off I continue to make a payment to my savings account I also pay as much extra to the monthly payment as possible and make a notation on the payment stub "excess payment to loan principle" this way it pays the loan principle instead of on interest not yet accrued. With this method I've been able to pay cash from my savings to purchase my last 2 new vehicles.

I think it is funny/sad that most of you think that a truck/car payment is a part of life and always will have one. My silverado was bought by my grandfather brand new in cash, my civic is the only car I actually bought and I saved my money and paid cash. The idea that tbplus10 is using is a great way to approach paying for vehicles. I have never known how a car payment feels and I never will.
    2002 Chevy Silverado & 1995 Ford Bronco

02 Silverado: 50K miles, 20" Motto Rims, Flowmaster 50 Series
    95 Bronco: 160K miles, 4" Superlift, 33/12.5/15 Mickey Thompson
    01 Civic: 75K miles, DD
    -Erik

I'm going to jump on tbplus and chromesilver's bandwagon -- never had a car payment and, if I have any say in it, never will. Buying older used, I paid ~$7000 cash out the door for my burban 4 or 5 years ago.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Legend
    Blog Entries

Why is it sad to have a car payment??

I have no credit cards, and no outlying bills. I could pay cash for a car but why bother?? I use the car payments for a great credit builder, mortgages and car payments are the two best forms of building credit. Different strokes for different folks..
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

I've only made payments on two vehicles. a 98 S10 that I bought from a buy here pay here lot when I was barely out of HS. I think I was paying 200 a month on it. Then when I was on Active Duty I paid nearly 350 a month on a 98 Dodge Dakota that I traded my 96 GMC Sierra on. In hindsight, I should have kept the Sierra. I would have had to sell it when I moved to my current area due to emissions testing (no matter what I did, I could never get that check engine light to go off), but at least I would have saved all that money from the payments. Had to get rid of the Dakota cause I couldn't afford the payments after I got off Active Duty. Since then, I've been leery about making payments. My credit score is still in the same shambles that it was after I was unemployed following Active Duty for 2 years, but I may be moving and don't want to take on debt to try and rebuild it until my move is complete. Were that not the case, I could probably go out tomorrow, throw in a down payment, and get an 05 or so fully loaded Z71 or Avalanche and rebuild that credit. I have enough contacts in the area that I could get the financing I need now and finally get my credit score going up again.

That being said, my current truck (93 Burb) I bought three years ago for 1500 bucks cash. It had somewhere in the 230ks as far as mileage went but it was very well maintained and still gets 20mpg on the interstate (now with 263k miles). It's been a very good truck to me for the price, and while it doesn't have some of the creature comforts I would like (namely heated seats), It has served me well and I will probably keep it till it completely falls apart.
    93 Suburban (Southern Slayer): TBI 350, 4L60E
    73 Z28 Camaro: L82, TKO 600

KJ4CLI

"...Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back..."

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    Why is it sad to have a car payment??

I have no credit cards, and no outlying bills. I could pay cash for a car but why bother?? I use the car payments for a great credit builder, mortgages and car payments are the two best forms of building credit. Different strokes for different folks..
    And with an interest rate of 1.99% I will gladly use their money, while I make money with mine....

I bought my 2007 in 2010. It had 24,000 miles and was in perfect condition. Sticker was 24,500 - I got it for $22,000. Payments are $451 for 48 months.
    2007 Chevy Silverado LT1 Crew Cab
    4x4, 5.3 Vortec Flex Fuel with Active Fuel Management

2000 1500 EXT cab listed as LS with many LT upgrades, I think my dad bought it for 28k, it was listed at 33k and had less than 100 miles on it. He was paying $650/month, when he lost his job, I took over payments to keep it in the family and then He eventually went to the bank and we did the title transfer. I did not refinance it so it was costing me 650/month the the truck was paid off.

This was the first truck I had owned and my first thoughts were $650/month? let me go get a used 2 door benz convertable, why a truck.... haha, I haven't looked back.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... Last Post byLast Post by