GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default temp gauge not working.

i know there are threads on here concerning this issue. but my issue is slightly different.

i was out in the shop and was installing my new throttle body spacer. i had just finished and wanted to go and try it out. (not really expecting crazy noticeable difference.) anyways i was just pulling in the driveway, and i noticed my temp gauge was at 160. and i know it was at 210 not 15 minutes before that. anyways i stopped and looked under the hood. everything was normal. i went home and let it sit for quite a while. came back out and started it. it went up to about half way between 210 and 160. it stayed for maybe 5 sec.and went back to 160. i think it might be the ECS. but still confused as to why it what read correctly then quit and not work.
    Any suggestions?

i read up on similar situations but nothing quite like this. truck runs fine, its not shutting me down, AC works.

It could be a few things. The stepper motor that moves the temp needle could be going bad, but usually they get stuck in one spot or go all the way left or right. It could be a computer issue. Did you disconnect you battery when installing the spacer? On my 05 I have disconnected the battery a few times to do work and a couple times after reconnecting the battery I had some weird issues with the temp gauge. It would read cold all the time or it would read normal then go to zero. I disconnected the battery for an hour each time this happened and it is working fine now. It could also be the temp sending unit. If you search the forum I think that there may be some posts about how to test the unit. On a side note, why did you install a spacer? They have no proven benefits. They can actually cause turbulent air flow rather than the laminar air flow that GM designed the system to produce.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

it came recommended when i bought my CAI. i forgot about it and just found it under my back seatso i thought why not. and before i bought my CAI and spacer everyone i talked to said make sure i have a spacer. nothing negative yet.