GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default supercharger or turbo charger?

So my girlfriends dad told me today he wants to put on a turbo charger. He owns a 89 2500 with a 350 thats all I know. I told him I would get a supercharger instead because he wouldn't have to change as many things around under the hood. my question is what would give him more bang for his buck? And what all would he have to change to put which ever unit on?

It depends what he wants to do with the truck. Superchargers are typically better for "instant" throttle response right from the "basement", since they are belt driven off of the crankshaft. Turbos won't begin to operate until the engine is expelling enough exhaust gases to spin the turbine that spins the shaft that sends air into the engine. Usually turbos are thought of more for "top end." However, there are variables based on what the owner wants.

Another question... What condition is the 350 in? Because to handle the pressure of forced induction, the engine needs to be in good shape. Not to mention if it's stock, the compression will most likely have to be reduced (low compression-style pistons, etc.)

Also, it'd be advisable to install an intercooler. More than likely the type of engine oil will have to be changed. The octane of fuel will have to be increased. Just remember, more performance typically means more maintenance.

Hope this helps and will get you thinking. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

The motors a 355 now. He redid the whole thing. He wants it to have more get up and go. When your stopped at a light and take off you dont get pushed back into the seat. He thinks he needs more power but i think it's the gearing and trans. The trans is only a three speed and I dont know what the rear end I's but it is real low.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Well if he does go ahead and do this then I hope he also upgrades the brakes to stop the 3 ton beast..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Install a newer Vortec or something? You could maybe throw a Procharger on it or something, but it's not a super great engine in stock trim to start with. The stock power rating was only 210 HP for the 350, and 300 lb-ft of torque. I'm not sure what changes were done to it if it's a 355 now, but the HP/Torque are probably fairly close to stock.

Diff gears and trans swap might help, not sure. Swapping to the 4l60 will help otherwise, as you'll get overdrive, which will save you some money on gas. It's also got a 3.06 first gear, compared to the 2.48 of the THM400.

Vortec + 4l60 will definitely get it moving faster. I'd start with the trans.

The motors pushing 300 hp but I dont think that's the problem . Its the gears and the fact its a three speed.

Quote Originally Posted by newcheylover View Post
    The motors pushing 300 hp but I dont think that's the problem . Its the gears and the fact its a three speed.
    Well, the HP doesn't really matter. What matters is how much torque it's producing in the lower RPM range, and how that meshes with the gearing. What's the FD ratio in the truck?

But either way, like I said, you probably want to start off with the trans, and swap to the 4l60 version. It will definitely pull harder off the line with that. And there are plenty of options for beefing it up if you do end up adding forced induction later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    Well if he does go ahead and do this then I hope he also upgrades the brakes to stop the 3 ton beast..
    That's a great point! Definitely want to be able to bring that puppy to a stop safely. Also I forgot to mention that ignition timing will have to be advanced if he wants to go through with forced induction.