GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by brentwal View Post
    Hey guys! New here, so I'll start out by telling you I have a 2010 Silverado, 5.3 4x4. Reg cab....... My baby.

Today, noticed a squeaking noise in the rear end. It sounds like rubber moving around, but I have no idea. It happens while moving slowly in reverse, and when accelerating at higher speeds. There is no vibration or anything else..... Just a god awful sound coming from the back.

Someone mentioned a CV arm to me - Just wondered what you guys thought!

Here's a G.M. Service Bulletin, its regarding.....
    Squeak Noise from Rear of Vehicle......weather or not this bulletin, is talking about the Same Squeak Noise your Silverado Has, I don't know, but I felt it was worth posting-up, as you mentioned, you have a Squeak Noise, hopefully this Bulletin may be able to help??

| Document ID: 2732835
    #06-03-09-004D: Squeak Noise from Rear of Vehicle (Lubricate Rear Leaf Springs) - (Nov 1, 2011)

Subject: Squeak Noise from Rear of Vehicle (Lubricate Rear Leaf Springs)

Models: 1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado (Classic)

2007-2012 Chevrolet Colorado, Silverado

1999-2007 GMC Sierra (Classic)

2007-2012 GMC Canyon, Sierra

2007-2010 HUMMER H3, H3T

This Bulletin is being revised to add the 2012 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-03-09-004C (Section 03 – Suspension)

Condition:
    Some customers may comment about a Squeak Noise coming from the Rear of the Vehicle. During normal operation, certain vehicles may exhibit a squeaking noise that may be traced to the rear leaf springs. While this noise is an operating characteristic of leaf springs, the frequency and severity of this noise will be affected by the roads that the vehicle is driven on.

Cause:

This condition may be due to debris getting between the leaf springs.

Correction:

To correct this condition, lubricate the rear leaf springs using the following procedure.

Important:
    It has been found that the application of grease to the rear leaf springs does a better job of preventing the noise from reoccurring than replacement of the spring.

1. Raise the vehicle on a frame lift-type hoist.

2. Inspect the springs for damage. If none is found, proceed to the next step.

3. Pressure wash the rear leaf springs to remove as much dirt and grit as possible.

4. Dry the springs with compressed air.

5. Apply a liberal amount of grease, P/N♦12345996 (in Canada, use P/N♦10953501), both underneath and on top of the front and rear tip inserts for the #2 and #3 leaves. A screwdriver can be used to gently pry up the tip insert; however, a rag around the screwdriver must be used to prevent damage to the spring. Use a flat-bladed tool, such as a gasket scraper to properly distribute the grease.

6. Lower the vehicle to the ground and test drive to verify the repair.

*****Please inform the customer that this will offer relief, but is not a lifetime repair. Periodic cleanings and grease re-application may be necessary throughout the life of the vehicle.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 03-16-2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN