GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default 99 C2500 454 front end issue

Hi,

I'm troubleshooting an issue with my front end. It started recently while I was away and my fiance was driving it. She said she hit the curb once, but didn't think she hit it that hard.

It pulls to the right. A little at first, then more and more as I drive. Eventually, it's quite difficult to keep straight.

I had replaced the brake pads and shocks a little while ago, but didn't do the rotors or bearings. So, it seemed a good theory that there was a bad bearing.

So I replaced both rotor/hub assemblies with all new bearings. Went well. Brakes feel nice.

Didn't help the pulling.

I'm looking for ideas on how to troubleshoot this and confirm a diagnosis before spending too much more money. It's an old truck that I would rather not take to a shop as they will tell me it needs new ball joints, bushings, and everything else they can hit me up for. The truck rode like a champ before I left town, so I just want to fix this problem and get back to driving it, not replace the whole front end because it's old.

Any thoughts on where to start?

Luke - Michigan
    1999 C2500 Suburban LT
    2009 Subaru Legacy Limited

Perhaps it's the tire, maybe she hit hard enough to break a sidewall.
    Swap the fronts, see if it pulls to the left.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Jr. Mechanic

get a tape measure,check back and front measurements of front tires,2wd somewhere around 16th of an inch toe in,i think.should tell you if a tie rod end got tweeked

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    Perhaps it's the tire, maybe she hit hard enough to break a sidewall.
    Swap the fronts, see if it pulls to the left.
    That's a great thought, as it is simple to test, and would be simple to repair. I will try that soon.

Thanks for your time to reply.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by geo1 View Post
    get a tape measure,check back and front measurements of front tires,2wd somewhere around 16th of an inch toe in,i think.should tell you if a tie rod end got tweeked
    Easy enough to check, thanks. I was just reading about alignment, so I even understood what toe in was.
    Would this kind of problem get worse after driving a while and then better after the car has 'rested'?