GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11

    Default

    yeah i could deal with spedo being off but if my transmission is all out of whack thats cause for concern.

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chihawks35 View Post
    damn that is really helpful. thanks i appreciate it. see and im not much of a car minded person so i wouldnt really think that adding an inch would change my speed almost 3mph. im assuming that can do some major damage to a tranny.

    - - - Updated - - -

    where would you recommend i go to get it re-programmed? a dealership? also any idea ballpark the cost on that?
    Next to the Dealership's, most auto repair shop could do the re-programming, also asked your friends, if they have a Scanner, that is capable of doing this.....also HyperTech sell a Trouble Code Reader, to Check the Service Engine Light, that also has the feature of being able to do the re-programming for a change in tire size, on the Cost, it all depends on who does it???

    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 03-16-2013 at 09:20 PM.

    MIKE


    99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN










  3. #13
    Legend
    TRPLXL2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Norwalk, Ohio
    Posts
    3,359
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    I had a 2005 1500HD crew cab 4x4 lifted 6" with 35" tires 305/65/18, 4.10 gears, 5.3, 4l60e.

    I only had the truck for 10,000 before I got it repoed, and it downshifted like a mofo too. What I did to save on the transmission was speed up to help make it up the hills, but sometimes it would drop to 2nd gear and would run about 3,000 rpms to the top of the hill and then it would shift up. I personally still run larger tires on all my trucks, It's a touchy subject as many disagree.

    I should also add your cruise control won't work right either, like mike said the VSS sends pulses to the ecm. If you have cruise on say 65mph, and you hit a hill you'll get a nice surprise. My truck scared the hell out of me in cruise control, I hit a hill and next thing I know 5,000rpms out of nowhere and then it downshifted. After that I never used cruise again lol!!
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

  4. #14

    Default

    yeah except im anal and knowing that its off a little il probably get it adjusted id just need to find a place near me that would even do that.

    - - - Updated - - -

    alright im going to check around to see if anyone has one thanks for the input i appreciate it

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    I had a 2005 1500HD crew cab 4x4 lifted 6" with 35" tires 305/65/18, 4.10 gears, 5.3, 4l60e.

    I only had the truck for 10,000 before I got it repoed, and it downshifted like a mofo too. What I did to save on the transmission was speed up to help make it up the hills, but sometimes it would drop to 2nd gear and would run about 3,000 rpms to the top of the hill and then it would shift up. I personally still run larger tires on all my trucks, It's a touchy subject as many disagree.

    I should also add your cruise control won't work right either, like mike said the VSS sends pulses to the ecm. If you have cruise on say 65mph, and you hit a hill you'll get a nice surprise. My truck scared the hell out of me in cruise control, I hit a hill and next thing I know 5,000rpms out of nowhere and then it downshifted. After that I never used cruise again lol!!

    yeah that just scares me. im definitely going to get it programmed when i do it

    - - - Updated - - -

    the next issue is, will this void my after market easy care warranty.... which is the reason im not lifting my truck right now to avoid voiding the warranty.

  5. #15

    Default

    i emailed cooper tire to see if it would fit and they said no, and reccomended me other tires. which are less than 33 in

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chihawks35 View Post
    i emailed cooper tire to see if it would fit and they said no, and reccomended me other tires. which are less than 33 in
    What Year is your Vehicle, is it a 2WD or 4WD and if its a 4WD, does it have Leveling and/or Lift Kit installed on it??

    MIKE


    99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN










  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    What Year is your Vehicle, is it a 2WD or 4WD and if its a 4WD, does it have Leveling and/or Lift Kit installed on it??
    i have a 2007 new body silvy 1500 with z71 i have a 2 in RC leveling kit. 4wd. i called the local tuffy to see what they though and two mechanics there dont seem to think it will make negative difference.

    also pertaining to backspacing and bolt pattern, should i just go with my stock or since im going wider to i want a bigger off set

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chihawks35 View Post
    i have a 2007 new body silvy 1500 with z71 i have a 2 in RC leveling kit. 4wd. i called the local tuffy to see what they though and two mechanics there dont seem to think it will make negative difference.

    also pertaining to backspacing and bolt pattern, should i just go with my stock or since im going wider to i want a bigger off set
    Your running 17in" Stock/Factory Rims, IIRC they have a Width of.....7.5ins"........here are the Specs on the Rim/Tire setup you have now on your 07" and your Factory Rims with the 275/70/17's


    Wheels: Wheel 1 Wheel 2
    Wheel size 17x7.5 ET 31 17x7.5 ET 31
    BackSpace 139 mm (5.5'') 139 mm (5.5'')
    Typical Weight ~ 22 lbs / 10 kg ~ 22 lbs / 10 kg
    Tires: Tire 1 Tire 2
    Tire size 265/70-17 275/70-17
    Section width 265 mm (10.4'') 275 mm (10.8'')
    Sidewall 186 mm (7.3'') 193 mm (7.6'')
    Tire diameter 804 mm (31.7'')
    818 mm (32.2'')
    14 mm (1.7%) taller.
    Rim sizes 17x7.5 to 17x10
    17x7.5 to 17x10.5
    Circumference 2525 mm (99.4'') 2569 mm (101.1'')
    Revs per mile 637.5 626.6
    Speedometer Assuming that this is OEM tire and speedometer readings are correct >>> When speedometer reads 60mph (96.6km/h) actual speed will be 61mph (98.2km/h): 1.7% faster.
    Typical Weight ~ 47 lbs / 21 kg ~ 49 lbs / 22 kg
    Wheel+Tire Weight ~ 69 lbs / 31 kg ~ 71 lbs / 32 kg
    Clearance: Package 1 Package 2
    Suspension Assuming that this is OEM wheel/tire and there is no any problems with clearance on both sides >>> Package is 5 mm (0.2'') closer to suspension/brakes components. Acceptable for most cars.

    IMO.....They...."the 275/70 with your....17in" Factory Rims, Will work.......I'm not a 4wd guy, so hopefully, the member's with 4wd, can either Confirm or Correct me on this.....
    .....also its up to you, as to weather you want to stay with your Factory 17in" Rims, or go with 18in" rims, as you mentioned in a earlier post.


    Edit:.....Sorry, do you have Factory 17in" or 18in Rims??

    MIKE


    99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN










  9. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    Your running 17in" Stock/Factory Rims, IIRC they have a Width of.....7.5ins"........here are the Specs on the Rim/Tire setup you have now on your 07" and your Factory Rims with the 275/70/17's


    Wheels: Wheel 1 Wheel 2
    Wheel size 17x7.5 ET 31 17x7.5 ET 31
    BackSpace 139 mm (5.5'') 139 mm (5.5'')
    Typical Weight ~ 22 lbs / 10 kg ~ 22 lbs / 10 kg
    Tires: Tire 1 Tire 2
    Tire size 265/70-17 275/70-17
    Section width 265 mm (10.4'') 275 mm (10.8'')
    Sidewall 186 mm (7.3'') 193 mm (7.6'')
    Tire diameter 804 mm (31.7'')
    818 mm (32.2'')
    14 mm (1.7%) taller.
    Rim sizes 17x7.5 to 17x10
    17x7.5 to 17x10.5
    Circumference 2525 mm (99.4'') 2569 mm (101.1'')
    Revs per mile 637.5 626.6
    Speedometer Assuming that this is OEM tire and speedometer readings are correct >>> When speedometer reads 60mph (96.6km/h) actual speed will be 61mph (98.2km/h): 1.7% faster.
    Typical Weight ~ 47 lbs / 21 kg ~ 49 lbs / 22 kg
    Wheel+Tire Weight ~ 69 lbs / 31 kg ~ 71 lbs / 32 kg
    Clearance: Package 1 Package 2
    Suspension Assuming that this is OEM wheel/tire and there is no any problems with clearance on both sides >>> Package is 5 mm (0.2'') closer to suspension/brakes components. Acceptable for most cars.

    IMO.....They...."the 275/70 with your....17in" Factory Rims, Will work.......I'm not a 4wd guy, so hopefully, the member's with 4wd, can either Confirm or Correct me on this.....
    .....also its up to you, as to weather you want to stay with your Factory 17in" Rims, or go with 18in" rims, as you mentioned in a earlier post.


    Edit:.....Sorry, do you have Factory 17in" or 18in Rims??

    i have stock 17 and am looking to move up to 18x9 so the left column is stock backspacing so i could use that for that website plug those numbers in and it will give me the correct size i should need

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chihawks35 View Post
    i have stock 17 and am looking to move up to 18x9 so the left column is stock backspacing so i could use that for that website plug those numbers in and it will give me the correct size i should need
    The Specs on both sides.....is for the Factory Rims 17in" by 7.5in in Width, with a Factory Offset of.....+31mm....which gives them a....5.5in" Backspace.

    MIKE


    99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN










Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Whats a Short Wide?
    By drillbit26 in forum Chevy Truck Tech Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-25-2011, 12:27 PM
  2. How wide of a tire can I fit?
    By 99monguse in forum Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-08-2010, 11:29 PM
  3. 285/75/16 on 6.5" wide wheel
    By kgibson181 in forum Lifted & Offroad Suspension
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-31-2009, 10:29 PM
  4. How wide of tire
    By Kady in forum Wheels & Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-24-2009, 03:19 AM
  5. idles wide open
    By T TOP TOM in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-17-2008, 06:26 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •