GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Default bad engine knock! PLEASE HELP!!!

what's up guys I own a 2005 chevy 2500 reg cab 6.0l with a 7"BDS ntbd. need some help here I've been looking on other forums trying to figure out what my loud obnoxious engine knocking is .
    so I get home on Sunday from work go to bed. wake up Monday morning start my truck up and sounds like a freaking hammer hitting . my oil is good no metal in it. the lubricity is good I don't even know if that's a word but yeah. also I was reading about flex plates bending . I'm pretty sure it's not that. sound like passenger side lower area. checked for broken exhaust studs none are missing ., I'm at a stand still . just weird how this happened over night. . I don't know if it's a bad intake manifold gasket . but yet again I am not loosing coolant. also I was wondering if it could be a injector ?? making piston slap. or bad knock sensor. have the timing off . it's bad enough that it vibrates my whole truck.

please help I would really appreciate it

Legend

it would be rare to have the engine fail on start up . you do anything to stress out this engine lately ?

possible coolant leaked into a cylinder and on starting it broke the piston.

haven't done anything to stress the motor out. she's my only ride and go about a mile and back ever day for work . try not to be too lead footed . gas is $$.
    i checked coolant level and it was perfect and and normal height
    2005 chevy reg cab 2500 6.0l
    bds 7" ntbd high clearance kit
    7%tint 15% Windsheild tint

Legend

pull the plugs see what they look like. could also be injector leaking into a cylinder doing the same thing.

ok I will pull injector . how would I know if injector is not working properly? hold a peice of white paper under it ?

- - - Updated - - -

i have also read about the starter not fully engaging back complelty . to make a nasty noise of which I am hearing . I guess the bendix starters start to take a crap over a 100k which seems about right to what I hear .

Jr. Mechanic

if you have a fuel pressure gauge,that will determine leaking injector,i.e.quick drop in pressure,i agree with posts above,also while each spark plug is out,start it,this way also you can isolate to a specific cylinder,be quick about it so you dont harm cat.with unburned fuel

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by yeevveey211 View Post
    ok I will pull injector . how would I know if injector is not working properly? hold a peice of white paper under it ?

- - - Updated - - -

i have also read about the starter not fully engaging back complelty . to make a nasty noise of which I am hearing . I guess the bendix starters start to take a crap over a 100k which seems about right to what I hear .
    starter noise don't sound like pistons . these engines start very fast and I have yet to see starter failures of the drive/gears etc. usually the solenoids fail [no crank]

i have ran a code and it runs a p0300 misfire on multiple cylinders . I had got a full tank of gas during the same week she took a crap. could possible be contaminated fuel ? water in fuel?

Jr. Mechanic

po300 is a pita.go to dealership and have a crankshaft relearn procedure done,only way i know of to get rid of that one,might not be out of the woods yet,so might have to wait on next code to appear,i.e. a hard code

Legend

p0300 being random miss fire would indicate many things going on including nothing. this code can occur with just an engine surge in power as the timing sensors are monitored that closely.

could be water in the fuel . did you check out the engine plugs/fuel pressure check for leak down etc ?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by