GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Default 2000 sierra dead

    I was cruising down the highway when my 2000 sierra just died, the battery light came on in the message center. The truck cranks but will not start. My first thought was fuel pump but that didn't fix it, any ideas? Thanks

  2. #2
    Jr. Mechanic
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    adirondacks,n.y.
    Posts
    113

    Default

    pump is running?you can here it?if so you have fuel,now check spark,pull a wire and plug,rest on metal,crank,check for spark,if no spark,possible crank pos. sensor,try a scanner if possible

  3. #3

    Default

    Usually, the fuel pump gets power from the fuel pump relay. As @geo1 asked, can you hear the pump running?

    I think the fuel filter, on that truck, is in the tank, changing the pump, is a chance to clean/renew the filter cloth.

    And, as geo1 suggests, the problem may be spark. The other possibility is air (you need all three) check the air filter and ducts

    And, while typing, I'm thinking, does he have fuel?
    Ray

    '09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    Usually, the fuel pump gets power from the fuel pump relay. As @geo1 asked, can you hear the pump running?

    I think the fuel filter, on that truck, is in the tank, changing the pump, is a chance to clean/renew the filter cloth.

    And, as geo1 suggests, the problem may be spark. The other possibility is air (you need all three) check the air filter and ducts

    And, while typing, I'm thinking, does he have fuel?
    Ray......On a 2000"s.....The Fuel Filter's are located, on the inside of the Fame rail, on the Driver-Side.


    MIKE


    99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN










  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    Ray......On a 2000"s.....The Fuel Filter's are located, on the inside of the Fame rail, on the Driver-Side.

    Thanks Mike, that could very well be the problem. OP, do you know when the fuel filter was last changed?

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    Thanks Mike, that could very well be the problem. OP, do you know when the fuel filter was last changed?
    Your Welcome Ray.....I was thinking the Same-thing.....when was the last time the Fuel Filter was changed??


  7. #7
    Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    everett, massachusetts
    Posts
    1,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cooter126 View Post
    I was cruising down the highway when my 2000 sierra just died, the battery light came on in the message center. The truck cranks but will not start. My first thought was fuel pump but that didn't fix it, any ideas? Thanks
    check the fuel pressure with a pressure gage you need more than 50 psi for eng run.

    could be the crank sensor under the starter . check for codes first .

  8. #8

    Default

    It was the crank position sensor, thanks everyone

  9. #9
    Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    everett, massachusetts
    Posts
    1,442

    Default

    it could have been a fuel pump but normally they do not suddenly fail. crank sensor can suddenly fail.

    wiring /connector/ and metal contamination can cause this issue.

Similar Threads

  1. 2004 Sierra-Blank/dead Radio, no sound or chimes but rear DVD works
    By Schooly in forum Audio, Video & Gadget Tech
    Replies: 2
    Last: 07-04-2012, 12:34 AM
  2. Power Steering/Brakes DEAD on 2000 Yukon XL
    By scarpint in forum Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)
    Replies: 5
    Last: 02-23-2011, 08:52 AM
  3. 85 Sierra, dead horn, need diagram or pics
    By echohunter in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last: 04-22-2010, 05:41 PM
  4. New to me 2000 Sierra
    By TJbear in forum Photo & Video Gallery
    Replies: 4
    Last: 10-07-2009, 06:31 PM
  5. 2000 Suburban - CD Player Dead. What now?
    By Jimzu in forum Audio, Video & Gadget Tech
    Replies: 7
    Last: 07-28-2009, 09:31 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •