GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Repair Frustrations : What was your must frustrating repair?

Anyone who has worked on a vehicle has most likely run into some frustration. Whether a bolt has been cross threaded, the head rounded off of a fastener, have to do a hand stand to get to something, dealing with rust related problems, or some other kind of inconvenience (and there are plenty of them :( ).

So my question fellow members is... What is the most frustrating repair(s) you have made?
    Last edited by Steve; 03-22-2013 at 12:10 PM.

Legend
    Blog Entries

V8 swap on my colorado,...............NUFF SAID LOL!!!

Besides the engine swap most of mine have been rust related, lots of snapped off bolts inside the frame rattling around lol!!
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Nothing major for me in terms of something being broken. My only complaint is trying to remove/reinstall the spark plugs all the way back by the firewall. I've changed out the plugs twice on my truck and those rear plugs are no fun at all.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by McClintoc View Post
    My only complaint is trying to remove/reinstall the spark plugs all the way back by the firewall. I've changed out the plugs twice on my truck and those rear plugs are no fun at all.
    Ever changed the spark plugs on a late 90's or early 2000 model Camaro or Firebird? I found that rather awkward to do. Especially the ones near the fire wall/transmission tunnel.

I think that the most frustrating repair I have done lately is u-joints on my 2003 yukon xl. I had a friend help me and he bent one of the ears on my driveshaft while I was in the house grabbing some beer. $300 later and a new drive shaft I learned my lesson when it comes to people "helping".(never leave tools with in sight and walk away!) Another one I am currently dealing with is the Power steering pump on my 05 xl. I ordered one from amazon, put it in, it ran for 30 seconds and popped. Then, it started whining like crazy and filled my power steering system and brake hydro booster with metal shavings. (New gear box and hydro boost installed a month before). I called amazon and they shipped me a replacement. I flushed the system with 3 gallons of fluid and put that one in, it lasted about 4 months and now makes a high pitched whine when slightly turning the wheel right while moving. Drives me nuts. So, again I have a replacement on the way. I just never figured that I would be putting on 3 power steering pumps in 4 months. You have to pull the alternator bracket to change it. Not a big deal, just annoying. Oh, and they have all been AC delco pumps.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

In your case Pikey, it sounds more like AC Delco pumps are to be avoided, however, since you bought them from Amazon I have to say: I purchased my muffler through Amazon and it turned out to be the wrong size. I put all my truck info into Amazon and it told me what parts fit and what ones didn't. I tried to measure my exhaust pipes prior to ordering but never could get a good measure. Amazon insisted a 3" muffler fit and a 2.5" muffler did not. I ordered the 3" and when I went to match it up to my existing tubing, my stock tubing was 2.5". In the end it was nothing an adapter couldn't fix but I'm starting to wonder if Amazon isn't the best place to order auto parts from.

I got the part number from directly from GM. I search amazon and found it for $10 less than I could get it thru GM with an employee discount with no core charge and free 2 day shipping using prime. Gm only sells the pump as a reman also.

There have been plenty of pain in the arse jobs, some of which were 3 bolts to remove the part, but you couldnt get to a bolt. One that sticks out though is the tank vent solenoid on a 99 camaro. Part of the problem was the custom exhaust in the way for dropping the tank. But tried for a couple hours just to get the solenoid to release from the clip on the tank. Gave up and left it overnight, came out next morning and 10 minutes later it was out. yes the plugs on those cars are rediculously stupid to get by the firewall.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Legend
    Blog Entries

Agreed on the 4th gen f-body's, anytime we do anything like that on my firebird we just lift the body of the car up and drop the cradle. 6 bolts and bam on the floor, done it several times. I would never attempt a tune up with the engine in the car, you guys are brave!!

Replacing the passenger side blend door actuator in a 99-06 (and 07 classic) Silvy or Sierra. You have to disassemble the darn dash and dig deep into it ... and then work in a tiny space while flexing certain things in the dash... to remove 2 tiny bolts, get the actuator out, put a new one in, and replace said tiny bolts. 4-5 hours of labor to replace a part that, if located better, would take 5 mins to replace.

I have small hands, which helped me on this job, and I cursed a lot. I can't imagine someone with big 'ol monkey hands trying to do this. It's made worse in my truck by sound deadening material that has to be removed in order to disassemble the dash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast