GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Mines a daily driver so I dont care what they look like. Im looking at price and like you said sound but I think ill just change the muffler for now

Legend
    Blog Entries

I hope we didn't discourage you from headers, they are awesome to have on a truck!! One more thing I will add about differences, I got suckered into the "ceramic is better" argument so I bought them for cooler under the hood temps. I ran both the steel painted headers, and ceramic coated on the same engine and the ceramic were only 50 degrees cooler then the steel ones. I used a thermal gun to test the primaries, mufflers I have no opinion because 3 out of 4 of my cars run open headers lol.......which is not good for your motor btw.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

I was about to ask, if its bad to run open headers then why does drag racers do that? I want the headers but I dont want to skimp on the quality because I live in the salt belt so I dont want it rotting off. Thats why im saying im going to wait until I have the money.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I came across a very unique situation regarding open headers actually, I have a 97 firebird which we did an LT1 swap. It has hooker long tubes, and I've been driving it for 2 years with open headers. The cars drives like a beast, but it is crazy loud which I like.

We just finished up an LS1 swap into an 04' Colorado, we TRIED to run it open headers and the truck kept stalling and dying. I posted a question on an LS forum about what the truck was doing, and they all jumped me about not having exhaust. I went and just slapped two pipes on with 2 mufflers turned down, and It made an immediate difference.

The 02 sensors will not function correctly, because they will be pulling fresh air from the end of the collector and It will make it run so rich it will actually pour gas out the collector. It was so bad in our case, that the gas got into the oil and almost caused damage to the motor.

The newer cars are finicky with air fuel ratio, while older cars you can run open headers no problem.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

i was also thinking of just cutting off the od ehaust at the collecter for the y pipe and running duals with a dual inlet outlet muffler. im thinking hat would be a good start because i can just come in later and add the headers and some pipe to fit it.

I would not waste money on ceramic. I installed them on my 95 and they rusted pretty good within 3 years. I had installed JBA headers. I also live in the salt belt.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

You can find a decent aftermarket exhaust... cat back online. Just pay the $40 or so more and get the alluminized as it will lat longer. I did just what you are saying to my sons 97... we went with two cherry bomb type mufflers, didn't do a y pipe and it sounds pretty good. Total cost was $270. I do not recall the exact name of where we got it but was Something like truckexhaustkits.com
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

I think ill do that because I dont have the money at this point. But I will definitely be getting in the future!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12