GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Back brake issues

I did the back brakes last week and eveyone told me the parking brakes never wear out. Well there were wore out and so was the back plate. I didn't have the part so I did new rotors callipers and the best long wear pads. The young man helping me messed up one of the bolts, the one that holds the main bracket. this bolt got messed up on the way out and got stuck so I had to grind the 3/4 ratchet to get it out. Going back in was allmost impossable, when I take this all apart again to do the backing plate and parking shoes Should I retap this hole? What do you guys think?
    Thanks Eric

Sr. Engineer

Yes, by all means re-tap that hole and get a new bolt. I replaced backing plate and shoes on my 2000 Yukon and used the one piece replacement plates which required the axles to be pulled. Another individual on this site used a two peice with good results.
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear

does that two peice unit go on easy?

Yes! Tap the hole out and get a new bolt. I have not done the 2 piece unit, but I have been told that they are easy to install.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)