GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Question To Install, or not to install. That is the Question!

Ok folks I'm workin multiple angles to try and figure this out, but I'm bettin somebody here will have a faster answer!

I purchased the Volant Ram scoop to compliment my Volant CAI, but have yet to install it. Although VERY dry out here in the desert, it does rain occasionally. My issue is with the semi flooded streets and the ram scoop. See, I can tread 14" of water no problem in the truck, but the scoop opening would be below the waterline. I'm concerned that at 35-45mph, I may force water up into the intake box and cause myself some serious problems. I'm not overly confident that I will be "just fine" which is why I'm lookin for some fellow gear head guidance. IF it turns out to be an issue, I'll wait to install the scoop when I've figured out how to equip a decent plug for the opening. Would rather cap it from the outside instead of having to pull the filter out to cap it every time the moronic weather person says it MIGHT rain . Not sure if it's relevant, but I also have the Power Core filter installed. Cheers and thanks again!

Oh, and if it turns out I need to plug the goram thing, I'd love to hear ideas! Thanks!!

2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Extended Cab Z71 4X4 5.3L Flex Fuel
    MagnaFlow single in duel out system
    Volant CAI & Ram Air Scoop with Power Core Filter
    Rhino Tuff Grip Spray in Bed liner
    Undercover Classic Tonneau
    Trail FX Bug "deflector"
    AVS Window Deflectors
    Black Powder Coated Nerf Bars
    RECON L.E.D. Interior, 3rd Cab light, Projector headlights, and Taillights
    ATX Crawl Wheels wrapped in BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain tires
    CalTrend Neoprene seat covers
    2" leveling kit from Max Trac
    Diablo Trinity with Diablew Tune

Jr. Apprentice

I don't think you will have to worry about that as much as you think. Water will go to the lowest point in the intake, unless you are flooring it wide open all the time.

I was stationed in AZ for a few years, and yeah it was dry most of the time but during "monsoon" season the streets would flood. It rained very little there, not much different than Vegas (been there also).

I am not very familiar with the Volant CAI and hood scoop, but I do know that the filter will provide a ton of protection. You would have to be completely submerged to hydro lock the motor more than likely.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

You can also get a Dry filter or Prefilter cover It's a Nylon cover that stops water and Fine dust.. K&N has them..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I'm running that exact setup (Volant air box, Power Core, and Volant scoop) and the pre-filter is absolutely the way to go -- both for water and dust reasons as Enkei mentioned. It's basically cheap, reliable insurance.

I did't know if a round K&N pre-filter would fit the Power Core, so I stuck to the Volant pre-filter so I wouldn't have to hassle with the possibility of a return.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I have that setup minus the pre-filter, plus I have functional ram air through my hood going to the air box. I drive my truck through rain, snow, ice, whatever Ohio weather brings, and have never had a problem.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Thanks for the input, folks! Think I'll pick up the prefilter and then install the ram scoop. As dry as it is, IF I end up having concerns about the water I will have plenty of time to devise a cap! Thanks again!