GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Threaded View

Default E-fan install 1991 Suburban

Well, those of you that have been around GMTC for a while know that I can't keep my tools off my Suburban, and this is no different. I am working on installing an electric fan on my 1991 Chevy Suburban. Why am I doing this? The answer is that the mechanical fan takes up a lot of space and isn't the most efficient at moving air, particularly while idling. It's hot down here, so air not moving over the a/c coils means it's not as cold as it can be, though to be honest the a/c worked pretty well before. The fan of choice for this project is the Lincoln Mark VIII fan. Why the Mark VIII fan? Well, it's fabled as the fan that moves the most air out on the market; claimed CFM is 4000+ but noone can agree exactly how much. Another excellent choice of fan are from Ford Tauruses, and while I have a couple of those fans, the CFM is supposedly not as much, though still high. I scored the fans for just under $20 each. So, let's get installin'!

So, here's what I'm starting with, a boring 20-year old mechanical fan and insanely huge shroud:

So, let's try to modernize it some. I took off the upper shroud and there's already a good bit of space freed up:

Here I've completely removed the fan and shroud. It's so cavernous, I think I can hide in there with the engine. You can also see my triple hose clamp job for my transmission cooler lines:

Next, I plopped the new fan in the engine compartment to try to get a feel of where I wanted to put it. About center looked good and seemed to cover most of the radiator. I'd say I have 80% coverage by the shroud:

Looking at what I had to work with, I decided that I could reuse the mounting points for the lower fan shroud to mount the bottom of the fan and I'd fab up new mounts for the top. So, I took some aluminum flat bar and bent up a couple of 90-degree tabs:

I then put the fan back in the hole, made a couple of measurements, and mounted the tabs to the bottom of the fan:

I cut off the original factory mounting tabs with a hacksaw since they would not be used to clean up the sides:

I took some measurements for the top mounts, sketched them up, and bent up a bracket that I would later duplicate for the other side:

And then installed the fan for the last time:

So, all the mechanical install is done. Now, I need to decide what I'm doing for the fan control. It is a 2-speed fan, and I can decide to operate it just in one speed, or step it between the 2, but either way, I need to find a fan controller. The alternative is to try to roll my own fan control setup with a temp switch and a constant-duty relay. Any suggestions on what I should do for the electrical?
    Last edited by Crawdaddy; 03-19-2013 at 11:18 AM.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage