GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default weekend project :)

well to start off, I had a long list of things to do to my truck and have been planning this for months and finally got to it all at once.

1) all 5 brake lines (russell braided steel lines)
    2) rear brake pads (hawk hps, fronts were done about 6 months back)
    3) all 4 rotors (powerslot cryo)

4) all 4 brake calipers

5) both rear axles,bearings, seals, c-lock clips

6) differential fluid

7) and a complete brake fluid flush

well to start off...

the rear brakes, 4 rotors, and rear calipers needed to be replaced badly...the rubber sleeves on both of the rear calipers were torn which was the cause for my croaking brakes as the pedal moved. so if im replacing the rear calipers, i figured might as well do all 4...

got my calipers from rock auto (ironically powerstop makes remanufactured calipers powdercoated red just for my truck! at around $45.00 each caliper after the core charge, I couldnt pass that up) I wouldve sandblasted and painted my calipers myself eventually.

the right rear axle was bent about 3.5 years ago my freshmen year in college when i slid into a curb at about 5 mph after turning left from a stoplight, couldnt believe that such a slow speed did that, but drove on it until now. obviously id rather replace both rear axle shafts instead of just one. and while i was at it it would be completely stupid to not replace the bearings, seals, and c-lock clips.

heres my rear pads.... can you say holy crap?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1 (4).JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	50652 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 5.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	50666

heres the wheels off

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	50656 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	50660

this left rear axle was replaced years ago after i had my first curb incident, when they replaced the left rear axle they mustve used some sort of aftermarket axle because as you can see the hub is a little different...

Name:	photo 4.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	50664

Name:	photo 3 (3).JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	50658

in order to replace the axle shafts you have to take the differential cover off and work inside there to release the c-lock clips.

Name:	photo 2 (4).JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	50655

a little mechanics trick my uncle showed me... to remove seals, just grab a prybar and put the end of it, like so, and it will pop right out.

Name:	photo 4 (4).JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	50663 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 5 (2).JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	50665 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3 (4).JPG 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	50659

of course we had to press in all of the studs too... yay! impact wrench and an oversize nut for a spacer

Name:	photo 1 (3).JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	50651

to remove the bearings I just rented one of the rear axle bearing pullers from autozone, which is a slide hammer device, couple knocks and it was out...

as far as getting the bearings back in, the perfect tool of choice.... a 2" socket and a hammer. 2"socket fits the outside rim of the bearing without contact the bearings themselves and fits right into the axle shaft as well, forgot the picture of this one...

Name:	photo 2 (3).JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	50654

clean the shizz out of the diff. cover before putting it back on... and a nice fat bead of RTV did it right

Name:	photo 4 (3).JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	50662

some finished product pictures....

Name:	photo 3 (2).JPG 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	50657

Name:	photo 1 (2).JPG 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	50650

Name:	photo 2 (2).JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	50653

Name:	photo 4 (2).JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	50661

so for the second year in a row, i did not get a spring break... last year clocked 56 hours at work, this year worked 7:30-7:00 monday tuesday and wednesday, then had to go straight to san antonio because my sisters wedding was saturday. so my break was nonexistent, so between getting there wednesday night passing out and waking up thursday, doing all kinds of preparations for my mother who basically planned everything for my sisters wedding, I finally got to start my truck around 5:00 p.m. thursday, got as far as the bearings which was when i took my break and had to get the puller friday morning. friday worked all day on my truck and finished it up, had to readjust the parking brake too. saturday was the wedding and sunday i got to test drive my truck for the first time, and I was happy!
    sunday morning at 7:00 a.m. i left SA back home to CC and missed a few classes, but i think all the work I did was definitely worth it!

brakes feel AMAZING!!! i am so happy i finished this all, best part, because of my sisters wedding we had family from colorado and indiana, of which 3 of my uncles were mechanics, one retired after 42 years..... so I had all the supervision and guidance anyone could ask for and would have never finished the axles without there hints.

what a workout that was... another checkmark off the list!

cheers!
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

glad you got all that done. good job!

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Legend
    Blog Entries

Nice work on the upgrades, I bet it stops a lot better now!! One question though, what size brake lines are you running now?? I just redid all of my brake lines to the Russell braided stainless, and I went with 3AN. Just curious on what you chose...
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    Nice work on the upgrades, I bet it stops a lot better now!! One question though, what size brake lines are you running now?? I just redid all of my brake lines to the Russell braided stainless, and I went with 3AN. Just curious on what you chose...
    as for my answer to you, I am completely unaware of any size choices for brake lines..... I just got the right lines for my truck (well actually the lines rated for a 4"-6" lifted silverado)

Legend
    Blog Entries

I apologize, I misunderstood your original post. I know what your talking about now, you got the extended brake lines for your lift kit. I replaced all mine, no more factory steel lines. Russell makes all different diameters of brake hose, but for your application you would not want to change it. Sorry for the confusion....

Good job! That's a hefty project ... and it sounds like you made good time, got to do it with family, AND had fun. That's a trifecta!

Nice. I wish I could get that much done on my truck (or Camaro) in one swing. I can't ever seem to avoid the 6 day workweeks (we've only had 4 or so Saturdays off since New Years) so I'm falling farther and farther behind on stuff that needs to get done.
    93 Suburban (Southern Slayer): TBI 350, 4L60E
    73 Z28 Camaro: L82, TKO 600

KJ4CLI

"...Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back..."

well ****....
    so i was driving my truck to wash it about 2 miles down the road and met a friend there, when i left I turned out of the lot onto the road and heard some scary metal rattling noise.....
    then had to turn around to get back to my apartment (road is divided by a median) on the turn the same horrible metal rattling sound...
    turned into apartment metal rattle again.... every turn from a dead stop i hear the noise...
    sounded like it was coming from the rear end, checked the fluid level and found out my differential was 1 entire quart low!
    looked where it was parked for two days and there was no evidence of a leak... the capacity is only about 2.25 quarts, i am in complete shock and confusion about half of my fluid disappearing... i put an entire quart in it until it started trickling out of the fill hole... i am praying and crossing my fingers that nothing happened to my rear end...

obviously there is a leak somewhere but i see no evidence, it was full exactly one-week ago...

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Ouch.. Keep an eye or Ear on that After all that work.. I would Hate to hear something happened...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X