GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Well the hitch from U-Haul arrived by FedEx and their hitch only bolts to the frame using 6 bolts including two existing bolts which hold the rear bumper brackets, there are some hitch models out there that bolt to the frame of the truck and rear bumper.

Lucky for me mine isn't like that and I don't have to replace the bumper to install the hitch.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    And what did you do, exactly?
    * My post are intended for entertainment purposes only and should not be taken serious unless I'm posting in the Buy/Sell section of this board and all opinions are that of mine ONLY.

Easy as pie!

Former Member

One thing to think about, but this is apples to oranges; the bolts through the bumper act as an additional lever point to add to the carrying capacity of the hitch...on the 2nd gen Dodge truck, guys would tear the hitch side plates and distort the ends of the frame from carrying excessively heavy loads. Dodge's answer was two support brackets that tied the very end of the frame to the hitch, which is essentially what the bumper bolts do for the GM.

However, if the UHaul hitch was not meant to be tied to the bumper, and still provides the correct capacity for your needs; it should be just fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12