GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default help,loud clunk??

I have a 2004 gmc savana 3500,all of the sudden i got a loud clunking noise from the right front side,then the wheel would pull to the right and feel like it was rubbing,then it went away till about another mile then the same thing(very loud),i got it home and checked the calipar and that was fine??any ideas??

I would guess at a tie rod end

Quote Originally Posted by doordoc35 View Post
    I have a 2004 gmc savana 3500,all of the sudden i got a loud clunking noise from the right front side,then the wheel would pull to the right and feel like it was rubbing,then it went away till about another mile then the same thing(very loud),i got it home and checked the calipar and that was fine??any ideas??
    Have you ever replaced the ball joints? We had a bolt on after market upper ball joint exibit those same symptoms because the mounting bolts cam loose and fell out. Subsequently, the steering knuckle and wheel came loose, pulled the lower ball joint out of its socket and ended up jammed under the frame rail. Somehow the tie rod (severely bent) and the soft brake line (also severely beaten on) did not break loose. Luckily the failure happened at about 15 mph so nobody got hurt. Another thing to look at is loose A arm mounts, or pitman, idler arm.