GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default New Brakes selection?

I will be replacing the front brakes soon on my 2007 1500 Silverado and need help selecting which front brakes pads I should purchase. I do some trailer towing (utility and boat trailer) but managed to have the original brakes last 95,000 miles. I am considering replacing the rotors as well. Is there a brake pad that does not create dust on the front wheels? I looked on the Rockauto site and there are a lot of pads with various pad composition, how can I select the best pads for the application? Thanks

Ceramics will give less dust and quieter than semi metallic (I like semi metallic better for certain reasons though). I typically buy Napa's premium brake pads (there are reybestos, hawk etc though too that are quality). there are always rotor upgrades too if you want increased performance/better cooling such as cross drilled/slotted rotors.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for the info. Do you know of a way to research the many options available without going through all the manufacture slanted ads?

Quote Originally Posted by littlehugger View Post
    Thanks for the info. Do you know of a way to research the many options available without going through all the manufacture slanted ads?
    Regarding searching of Brake Pads and/or Rotor's, One Site that I find very useful is the.....Brake Warehouse,

****Brake Pads,
    http://www.brakewarehouse.com/brake_pads.asp

****Brake Rotor's,
    http://www.brakewarehouse.com/brake_rotors.asp

Beyond getting new Rotors and Pads, I would mention, that if its with-in your Budget, replacing the factory rubber brake-lines, and go with Braided Stainless Steel Brake-lines, as this will reduce the soft mushy feel when braking......I would also mention that when you do get a new set of rotors/pads, this would be a Good Time to Flush the whole Brake System.

I've Installed on my Silverado.....SSBC...Stainless Steel Slotted Rotors, with Hawk Pads, and along with the SS Brake-lines, this Brake Setup, that I've gone with on my Silverado has been a.....Very Solid Improvement, Over the Factory/OEM Brake Setup.

Also with you mentioning...."
    but managed to have the original brakes last 95,000 miles"........IMO that Speaks Volumes as to maybe going and/or staying with the Factory Brake Pads.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 03-23-2013 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

thanks for the help