GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Ambient Light Sensor

On my 2004 Silverado 1500, sometimes on bright sunny days the instrument panel/dash lights will not turn off. Is the ambient light sensor that is on top of the dash close to the windshield going bad?
    The instrument panel/dash lights will always come on when it is dark or real cloudy, but on a few occasions they did not turn off on sunny days.

Henry
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500; 4x4; Ext. Cab; 5.3L FI

I've seen this, too. I don't know why it happens. (I wonder if it's some weirdness associated with 04's?!)

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

My 09 will do it to but none of our company trucks or my dads Tahoe and 2500 have never done it when I drive them so idk what it could be. I'm interested to see what people have to say
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Legend

yes the dash mounted sensor needs replacing . as time passes the device will stop seeing any light so the headlight always come on . dealership has this part. use vin for correct one they are different.

Thanks, I will get one soon. Yesterday was a sunny day and the lights did turn off that time. I also need to buy a new HVAC temperature control. The lights on that are blown out too.

Henry
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500; 4x4; Ext. Cab; 5.3L FI

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BowTieFan1 View Post
    Thanks, I will get one soon. Yesterday was a sunny day and the lights did turn off that time. I also need to buy a new HVAC temperature control. The lights on that are blown out too.
    I have not done the hvac lights but, I have been told that radio shack has these lamps. bring one into store for a match very cheap fix.

I was pretty sure yesterday, but wanted to wait until I had a chance to check.

My '09 has the dash lights on during the day, sunny day, or dark day. The dash lights dimming switch will not change the level. I believe it is normal for the dash lights to be on during the day..... at least on the '07 and up trucks, may be the same on the '04 trucks.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)