GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Real time help needed, tranny issue

Hey all, first post. I am looking some expert opinions in a transmission problem that occurred today. I have a 2002 Tahoe (I know, wrong section but there is 5x more folks here right now) with 138,000, 5.3, automatic. Just bought the rig 2 weeks ago. I drove it to work today and at lunch with zero problems. Went to leave work and put it reverse, the truck just surged, put it in drive and the same thing. I checked the fluid, looked good and clean. No grinding noise. I had to call my wife to pick me up. Looking for opinions before I start dropping $ into a repair shop. Being that it happened upon start-up makes me wonder if its computer/electrical related? Maybe shift solenoid? Thanks! Doug

18. Extremely harsh shifts from P or N, normal shifts at WOT: EPC (Electronic Pressure Control) solenoid failed. Fix as soon as possible or hard parts will eventually break.

Source: http://www.twincharlotte.com/transmi...r-Charlotte-NC

Thanks for the link. I'm debating to either tow to AAMCO or tow to my house and attempt to fix myself. Hate to say it but I don't trust repair shops. Does it make sense to pull the pan and replace all the solenoids since I'm in there? Are they all easily accessable? Also, do I buy a diagnostic unit and see if there are any codes? I would think the trucks display would indicate if there was a code thrown but I don't see one on the dash? Is that typical? Thanks again for your help...I'm just trying to save myself a huge repair bill if its something relatively easy for me to fix.

Legend

explain surged ? what occured when you tried to back out ? no engagement ?

If you lost reverse and 1st gear then the shell may be cracked. many have had this occur .

Quote Originally Posted by Telly View Post
    Thanks for the link. I'm debating to either tow to AAMCO or tow to my house and attempt to fix myself. Hate to say it but I don't trust repair shops. Does it make sense to pull the pan and replace all the solenoids since I'm in there? Are they all easily accessable? Also, do I buy a diagnostic unit and see if there are any codes? I would think the trucks display would indicate if there was a code thrown but I don't see one on the dash? Is that typical? Thanks again for your help...I'm just trying to save myself a huge repair bill if its something relatively easy for me to fix.
    I'm not the person to ask about those things, as I know just enough about transmissions to be dangerous. Based on your description that item from that link certainly sounded like what you encountered though. Do you concur? If so I'd engage a repair shop if you're not well-versed in tranny work ... unless the truck isn't your daily driver and you can take your time and learn as you go.