GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Hey guys:
    Adam from Range here. We're a vendor on this forum now. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Adam
    Range Technology
    www.rangetechnology.com

2. Thanks summitwhite11 thanked for this post

Do yourself (and your truck) a favor by checking out The Range Technology V8 AFM Eliminator module. Plain and simple, it works.
    The Cheap-*ss Modder & Thread Killer
    The Realist says, "The glass is too big".

2013 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z60 4WD Crew Cab
    Mineral Green Metallic w/ Tan Leather Interior
    5.3 L FLEX w/AFM, 6A, Cheap-*ss Mods
    32 Dump Club Member
    Range V8 AFM Eliminator

I am using a SCT GM preferred and it works well to turning off the AFM, DOD and many other options! http://www.sctflash.com/
    2010 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB (Silver) 4x4, ReadyLift 2.5" Level Kit, 305/60/18 Dick Cepek Mud Country, Go Rhino Nerf Bars, Husky Liners front and rear, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, Custom tuned. 4:11's

I have a 2014 5.3 Sierra. Putting shift lever into M5 mode DOES prevent the cylinder deactivation mode. Keeping it in M5 mode keeps the truck in V8 mode 100% of the time; which I prefer when driving below 60 mph.

When I get on hwy, I push the + button to go to M6. It will then allow the cylinder deactivation to act normally. When I get off the hwy, I push the - button to go back to M5. It then operates in V8 mode, and still operates as an automatic transmission in 1-5 gears.

My question is... Does cylinder deactivation hurt the engine? I'm reading a lot of posts about oil burning. I'm considering the AFM Range in order to disable the V4 mode completely. Any thoughts?

I put the Range on my 2013 the day after it came home, new, from the dealer back in early June. I had seen tons of issues that folks had posted regarding AFM problems. Many TSB's out from GM on how to address engine issues, that seem to be directly attributable to AFM.

But the AFM thing went against everything I hate. Guess it is my upbringing, 7 years in the military, and other experiences, that make be uneasy about some cylinders working while others are out on a smoke break. I realize that the government has had a big influence on GM in the last few years, but I am not going to have my engine acting like government workers, where 4 stand around goofing off while the other 4 work. I dissolved that "union contract" in my engine and demand that when I turn on the key, all cylinders are required to "pack the gear" and work as a team. I paid for 8 cylinders, and I expect them all to work. That is how engines are designed.

I am reminded of a Star Trek movie, where they stole the original Enterprise and the new Excellsior star ship was going to give chase but conked out. Scotty is heard commenting "aye, the more complicated the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain". This whole AFM thing brings a level of complexity to the engines that is unnecessary and shows no appreciable return for the design cost. It was done merely to placate some government dweebs. Many who have shut it off have reversed oil consumption issues and have not experienced any mpg hit for doing so. And of all the posts I have read about shutting it off, I have never read of a single occurrence where someone regretted it.

How you go about it... tune or Range... just do it! You will not regret it.
    Hey there, VA, what do ya' say? How many vets did you kill today?

7. Likes summitwhite11 liked this post

The custom tunes are awesome, I myself was just looking to turn off the AFM system , so I went with the Range Technology device, its simple plug n play, and that's all it does, I really like mine, the truck is just smoother doing down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
    As a retired GM service engineer, I'll let you all know that you have to be aware that ECMs/BCMs, etc. have a history log file and anytime a calibration is written to the file it remains and a tune is just another name for a calibration. Diablo says they do not leave a record if you reload your factory cal; but Diablo will not give you a written statement guaranteeing any possible repairs will be covered by them if GM denies the warranty. So, will it not leave a trace? I won't gamble.

GM requires the log file if any serious engine work is done, such as rebuild. And the Magnuson-Moss act won't help since there is plenty of data to backup a change in calibration could cause engine damage. (I say could, since chances are a good tune will not cause any problems.)

There is another alternative called a Range. It does not change the cal, it changes the signals in and to the ECM. They make three different models; two actually increase AFM mode for better fuel mileage, and one turns AFM off. (Which I believe is a good thing.)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234