GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Default What tunes should I use? Need to turn off AFM

Hi guys,

I am looking to get a tuner like superchips or bullydog so that I can turn off my AFM 4cyl/8cyl mode. I do a lot of city driving stop and go with a load in the bed and I am completely sick of dealing with the engine bogging in 4cyl mode then clunking to 8 cyl. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I also want to stick with using 87 octane and maintain a descent MPG.

I have a 2010 Silverado LT 5.3L V8 with a flowmaster and K&N Full Intake.

Thanks!
    ~Slim

As a lot of people will tell you on here. Diablo is the way to go when it comes to tuners. Very simple to use but have unless possibilities. But stepping up the octane will always help
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Quote Originally Posted by ahmitchell1 View Post
    Diablo is the way to go when it comes to tuners.
    I concur. Key to this is that with a DiabloSport tuner you can do a custom tune without having to go somewhere to get it done. Sure it's not as precise as putting the truck on a dyno, but it's a far cry better than using a canned tune from a handheld tuner. If you want the most bang for the buck out of a tuner ... I strongly advise going the extra mile to get a custom tune.

Send @06MonteSS a PM on this forum. He's a site sponsor who does custom tunes and bundles them with DiabloSport tuners at a price that's cheaper than you could buy each, separately. He did the tunes for my truck and I'm extremely satisfied.

Not to hyjack but, would a custom tune void the warranty on a new truck?
    Thanks Tom

Legend

if you go to the diablo forms you will find most recommend before bring vehicle in for dealership repairs to restore the PCM programing to the OEM . this is another diablo feature.to go back to original OEM program.

give the dealership/GM any reason to deny coverage for warr. work is not good thinking.

For Diablo... Turning the AFM off alone makes a HUGE difference. The Diablo tunes are pretty good. Adjusting shift pressures and RPM is nice too...

Quote Originally Posted by tlc0706 View Post
    Not to hyjack but, would a custom tune void the warranty on a new truck?
    Thanks Tom

Technically, yes it voids your warranty. . You can remove the tune and restore the factory settings though.

Legend
    Blog Entries

If your just wanting to turn it off, find somebody with hptuners. Pay $100.00 for the license for your vehicle, and that will shut it off too.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

As a retired GM service engineer, I'll let you all know that you have to be aware that ECMs/BCMs, etc. have a history log file and anytime a calibration is written to the file it remains and a tune is just another name for a calibration. Diablo says they do not leave a record if you reload your factory cal; but Diablo will not give you a written statement guaranteeing any possible repairs will be covered by them if GM denies the warranty. So, will it not leave a trace? I won't gamble.

GM requires the log file if any serious engine work is done, such as rebuild. And the Magnuson-Moss act won't help since there is plenty of data to backup a change in calibration could cause engine damage. (I say could, since chances are a good tune will not cause any problems.)

There is another alternative called a Range. It does not change the cal, it changes the signals in and to the ECM. They make three different models; two actually increase AFM mode for better fuel mileage, and one turns AFM off. (Which I believe is a good thing.)

Quote Originally Posted by slimcubby View Post
    Hi guys,

I am looking to get a tuner like superchips or bullydog so that I can turn off my AFM 4cyl/8cyl mode. I do a lot of city driving stop and go with a load in the bed and I am completely sick of dealing with the engine bogging in 4cyl mode then clunking to 8 cyl. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I also want to stick with using 87 octane and maintain a descent MPG.

I have a 2010 Silverado LT 5.3L V8 with a flowmaster and K&N Full Intake.

Thanks!
    ~Slim
    Does your 2010 have a manual shift mode? If yes I've read that putting the truck into M5 will not engage AFM.

Most tuners will disable AFM, Hypertech, Diablo, etc.

Turning off AFM will really impact your gas mileage.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by