GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Typhoon clone

Default Typhoon clone

I have an 89 s10 Blazer with the 1st Generation TBI 4.3L V6 (non vortec)
    I recently got the urge to see if it was possible to take MY motor, do the necessary modifications and have a "Chevy Typhoon Clone." After some research it seems to me the factory typhoons have beefier internals, a Chevy Astro L35 intake, a 80-90s Corvette throttle body, and of course a Turbo/inter cooler.
    Now, I need help from all yu "SyTy" owners and fanatics out there to lemme know everything I'm missing as far as parts, and where to get wiring harnesses/ECU's, and to tell me in general if this is even possible.

**PLEASE NO FIGHTING AMONGST POSTERS HERE I NEED EVERYONE'S OPINION AND INFORMATION HERE SO THERE IS NO WRONG ANSWERS. THANKS**

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

If you got the funds it can be done.. Find a old Trans Am GTA or Grand Natal motor to put in..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

yea in the long run it would be easier rebuilding one of those engines rather than trying to track down parts that have been out of production for years.
    Look at the outlaw and circle track racing sites the non vortec 4.3 was a popular build for outlaw cars and GM even sold off the shelf race parts for them in the late 80's. At one time they had a GM Performance catalog full of parts to build.

Legend

I know its fun to do somthing different and building a typhoon clone engine would be, but that will cost ya more then if you just swapped in a 350, there are so many kits for your specific application, you can find an old 350 anywhere and rebuild them very reasonably. Also finding a tranny for the 350 would be easy as well. I know in my area you can find a 350 and 350/400 turbo tranny combo in the $500 range, and considering what a turbo, intercooler, plumbing, upgrades for fuel injection to handle the turbo and computer/dyno time to get it dialed in, you can invest half of that and have great V8 power. as mentioned above to get a GTA or GN motor, well if you actually found one (they are a 3.8) it would be a small fortune just for the motor, they are rare and people selling them know it. Good Luck in whatever you choose!!
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Welcome to the G M T C ! I hope you get the answers you are looking for, good luck!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

I want a parts list for a 1500 Typhoon clone... apparently its not possible due to the extra weight, but the frame is stronger and heavier so put a bigger engine in it