GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

For @SupplySgt:
    GM has not been offering a manual transmission in quite some time in the trucks.

The new Ecotec3 engines are going to give GM a significant bump in HP and economy from what I've read. I can't wait for GM to release HP and economy figures for the new Ecotec3 engines.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

I knew you couldn't get a manual with a V8 in either the full size trucks or the mid sized, but I thought you could still get one with the V6 in the full size. Must be wrong. And that's a disappointment for me. Next truck I buy will likely be a smaller one that I can take hunting. I don't care for the 4 or 5 cylinders in the mid sized GM trucks so I'll probably end up having to go with another make since I prefer manuals. I remember seeing that Dodge stopped offering manuals in their Dakotas as well. Sucks that there aren't as many manuals available anymore.
    93 Suburban (Southern Slayer): TBI 350, 4L60E
    73 Z28 Camaro: L82, TKO 600

KJ4CLI

"...Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back..."

god forbid people actually learn how to drive, they would much rather push a pedal and go. even 18 wheelers are headed that direction.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Good thing I think.... I love the 5.7 but I want to see more horsepower and more torque for my buck...they do have to do something because Ford is taking the market with gas mileage and power.

It would be nice to see what they do with diesel, maybe even with a turbo on it. The sky's the limit.

^ agreed. I'd love to see more diesel options, especially on the lighter duty (1500) trucks. Diesel just makes too much sense for big3 to keep dragging their feet and getting out hopes up.

That said, I don't mind the newer engines. They're gonna happen, and within a few years they're usually optimized for reliability and putting out more power+better MPG than their predecessors. Can't stop progress, why try?

As for a diesel in the light duty trucks - GM is going to closely watch the response that Dodge gets with its diesel in the RAM 1500. Are enough people willing to pay the extra $'s for a diesel in a light duty truck ??? That is the million $ question.
    Richard (Winnipeg, MB Canada) - 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4x2 (Carbon Black Metallic) -Z71 - 5.3 L V8 - 3.42's
    Leer 100R truck cap; Chrome clad aluminum wheels (18"); custom cat-back dual side exits (4" diameter Magnaflow SS tips) exhaust system with Magnaflow muffler (18"); Cloud Rider stainless steel grill overlay

As for the diesel questions, what I lack in dealing with cars I try to make up for in trying to learn more about dealing with them and, from what I hear, the US, by 2025, wants all vehicles, including trucks, to be pushing 50+ mph.

Now, I dunno about you guys but gas alone will not be able to do all this, at least in trucks, IMO. Ford is supposed to be going toward aluminum body parts and dropping about 700 lbs. all major companies are striving to be better and more powerful but, IMO, as a person who's dealt very little with diesels, even with the parts and maintenance costs being double, and gas costs being $.30-.50 more than gas, the jump isn't big to say that diesels might be a big contender in the future.

I've been arguing for more diesel options for quite a while. Pretty much all the big automakers have diesel versions of their popular American cars available in Europe. But here's the thing, the ethanol lobby is doing everything they can to keep diesel from being considered a viable option in the US. And I think they will continue to do that. I've said for years that they are the reason why there are diesel versions of several different cars in Europe but they're not allowed to be sold here. If I had a 6.5L in my Burb instead of the TBI 350, I would save a good chunk of money despite the difference in fuel costs.

Ya but is guess guess a ill scary because it's so much more to pay in the us the gas trucks
    but true me I've been thinking more and more about it

Hopefully the laws of supply and demand, and economics of scale, and competition would work to bring down prices of diesels. Right now, its almost a novelty in cars, and unheard of in light trucks so the prices are high, but it makes a lot of sense to go diesel. Course, since I'm not in the market for a new truck, I can't really put my money where my mouth is...