GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question 1998 K1500 Silverado Squeaking brakes

Hi guys, on my truck pictured below, my front brakes squeak. Its only the front ones, but I checked the rotors and they are fine and the pads are at about 80%? What should I do? It really bugs me, but I just don't feel like spending the money for all new rotors and pads if these aren't even bad... Suggestions? Help?

1998 Chevrolet K1500 Silverado Z71 Waldoch Conversion

could be a couple things. Do they squeak all the time or during braking. Do the pads/rotors look like they are glazed over. But the most common thing is just brake dust. Especially if they are semi-metallic pads (I still prefer semi metallics over ceramics though). Semi metallics give off a lot of brake dust. This will build up some and cause squeeking. Take the front brake pads out and spray down the rotors and pads with brakeKleen. Also could be just due to the back of the pads vibrating with the holder. So when you take the pads off also buy some of the silicone stuff for the back of the pads (the little packs that are at the counters of autopart stores). Put a good amount on the back of the pads and on the ears (any where it hits other metal, but not on the face of the pad, dont want it on the rotor). Sometimes if that doesnt work, and I have had trouble ones before, they sell some heavier duty stop squeek stuff. It dries to more of a rtv gasket consistency as well as a spray for the rotors. I have had to use them before when I couldnt get a squeek out with the traditional methods.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Ok, I will try to clean them and look at them how you said. I appreciate the help!