GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default LED under hood light install

I would first like to thank @SurrealOne for his help completing this. The kit is the one @zigger215 brought to our attention. http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...2780-Listen-up!. The kit that I received was almost complete. The only thing that did not come in the kit was a fuse. However, I did use wire loom that was not included. Tools used:
    • Needle Nose pliers
    • Dikes
    • Wire crimper
    • String
    • Measuring tape
    • Heat Gun
    • Soldering Iron
    • Electric tape
    • Wheelbarrow (Don't laugh I will explain later)
    • Cleaner/Degreaser
    • Heat shrink tubing (kit comes with crimp connectors)

The first thing after taking inventory to make sure you have all you need is to prep the area to ensure the adhesive does what it supposed to.
    Now for the pics. This is what came with the kit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-02-19_19-16-04_599.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	49632
    Wire needed to be soldered to the end of the light strip. So the lights were mocked into place to measure for the length of wire. During this step the routing for the wire was finalized.

Name:	2013-02-19_20-34-17_850.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	49633
    While SurrealOne was soldering the terminal ends onto the wire I marked and drilled a whole for the switch. To protect the paint I used masking tape. It would have been better to use the blue tape because it doesn't leave any sticky residue.

Name:	2013-02-19_20-33-55_436.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	49634
    Once the terminal ends and the fuse holder in place it was time to install the wire behind the hood fabric. Take your time on this the fabric rips fairly easily. The wire was run down and into the loom of the hood ground strap to give it a more factory look. To do that the strap was removed to make it easier to pull the tape off the loom. The splicing tape that was on the end of the loom was a bit of a PITA to take off while the strap was installed. It only had to nuts holding it on. A 10mm wrench was used to remove it. I don't think there was enough room on the bottom nut to use a deep well socket.

Name:	2013-02-19_21-36-51_147.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	49635
    The next step was to use string to make a template for the placement of the light strip. Take your time on this part. I tried to do it by sight and had to pull part of it back off cause it looked like crap. A string was used to find the center line of the hood. Than we measured the total length of the strip and halved that. Took that measurement to the drivers side to begin installing the lights. This is where the wheelbarrow come into play. It was used a platform to work from. In order to follow the contours of the hood and the liner it was easier to lay down and look up. So laying on the rad cover facing up I had my feet in the wheelbarrow to make it somewhat comfortable. Peel back a few inches of the backing off of the light and press for a few seconds (how long depends on the temp you are working in)

Name:	2013-02-19_22-23-48_448.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	49636
    After the light is pressed into place before you climb down outta the truck double check to ensure the adhesive is sticking to the hood. Than stand back and admire your work!!

Name:	2013-02-19_23-02-40_721.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	49637Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-02-19_23-02-53_80.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	49638

The only downside in doing this is now I really see how dirty the engine bay is.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Looks sweet and is much brighter than any of the stock lights.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Name:	covered....jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	49639Always good to light up under the hood.. Wish GM still did it from the factory..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I like how the light sets off the 'Sierra' logo you added under the hood, Alox...

It does set it off nice. My OCD is kicking in!! Time to break out the paint gun to redo some stuff.

I noticed your front GMC logo is cracking. :(

looks good!

nice write up too!

I installed the same kit Sunday evening, I didnt use the supplied switch though, instead I wired in a rocker switch that I placed in the support above the battery. Did the same thing as you with the connections, soldiered and heat shrink for a more secure connection.
    Ran all the wire inside the hood on the right side and under the sound deadening.
    I have 2 sets of red LED's that I'm going to put in the bed this coming up weekend, would've rather had white but he was out of all the white kits and I didnt feel like waiting.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I think I just found my next mod, it looks excellent!!
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast