GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Best Zombie Vehicle? What would you drive in a zombie Apocalypse? The Walking Dead

I'm all caught up on the walking dead, but i find it curious to see the different vehicles they're driving on the show.

got me thinking, what type of vehicle would i want in a zombie apocalypse? Big lifted 4wd truck, fuel efficient and quiet car? Maybe it depends if I've got a base or if was still on the run.

What would you want as your zombie vehicle of choice?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zombie-apocalypse-car.jpg 
Views:	1638 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	50882
    Last edited by Steve; 03-24-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

400-500CC 4x4 EFI ATV w/ mud tires, rigid dually d2 offroad lights, rifle/shotgun scabbard, and a winch...

Reasons:

• It can go places a car/truck can't.
    • It can do it day or night due to aftermarket lighting.
    • It can be put in the back of a truck and be transported across large distances at higher speeds (assuming fuel is plentiful) with relative ease
    • It's easier to store and/or conceal than a car/truck.
    • It's fuel efficient by nature of its small engine size.
    • It's not as fast as a bigger ATV but has a better turn radius and consumes less fuel than a bigger ATV.
    • It can carry one person and all essential survival gear ... or two people and a little bit of gear.
    • It's relatively easy to work on.
    • If you're prepared for the zombie apocalypse then you have appropriate gear for being in the rain, cold, etc., so exposure to the elements should be a non-issue.
    • It's not intended to be a home or place of refuge; it's pure transportation. Again, if you're prepared for the zombie apocalypse you've already figured out your approach to shelter and it likely does NOT involve camping in a car.
    • Open riding allows a shotgun or other firearm to be easily used from the riding platform, without obstruction due to windshields, A/B pillars, etc.
    • Rifle/shotgun scabbard protects the firearm from the elements while keeping it ready for immediate use.
    • It can be as quiet or loud as you want it to be -- just mod the exhaust system to taste.
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 03-23-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Agreed as above but I'd rather have a Argo 6x6 They can go in water and float to get away... http://www.argoutv.com/recreational/...sories%20shown

Name:	261_ARGO-hunting-12(450X600)v1.jpg 
Views:	1021 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	50869
    Last edited by Steve; 03-24-2013 at 01:25 PM.
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Legend
    Blog Entries

Bigfoot Monster truck, with 2 50 caliber machine guns in the bed on turrets.

Last edited by Steve; 03-24-2013 at 01:26 PM. Reason: added in a bigfoot chevy image.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

id want an early 80s pickup for the bigginning. fuel will be plentiful for a little while so it shouldn't be too bad. upfit it with a rugged brushgard on front, modified steel tube rear bumper. id want some 17" wheels so replacement tires are easy to come by from almost any abandoned vehicle. probably a manual trans would be the best, one less fluid that could be lost when a thin pan gets punctured or cooler lines get ripped. probably would reinforce the windows with wiring fencing. add a cap and bust out the rear window in the cab to have access to rear bed.

why not a suburban? well because those things are boats. good offroad tires wont be a dime a dozen so i could see a 4x4 burb getting stuck more then a 4x4 truck. plus most burbs are autos that i know of. keeping with the light mods keeps it mobile, and still fuel efficient for what it is.

the goal would be to find a place to fortify soon because fuel is going to be used up/spoiled in probably a year unless you have the resorces IMO. my goal would be to live on the coast and then most traveling oculd be done by boat (sail or paddle).
    Last edited by Steve; 03-24-2013 at 01:28 PM.
    "i dont think you got the picture. i got a beautiful picture. this baby happens to have an extra turn of speed, which is the only thing i care about. you dont understnad what happens do you? they make cars. they make 'em exactly the same way. one or two of 'em turn out to be something special. nobody knows why. i know why. i may be kiddin' myself, but i think i can make somethin' out of that sad little bucket of bolts." ~ Tennessee Steinmetz

I'm thinking that in the beginning of such an outbreak, I would hope that I could have the presence of mind to get some survivalist type supplies and stuff together that would allow us to get through the first days of confusion. After that, this is what I think I could get through it and be an long-term survivor.

First Wave (Days into Weeks) - Traverse should be just fine
    My traverse should be fine to go out and get weapons & ammo, gather up and store MREs and a lot of jugs of water. That would be the number one issue, I could envision needing upwards of 200+ gallons of water just to get through the first wave. During this time we would have to figure out if this thing would blow over and if the government (which we all know the answer) could get it's act together and provide some answers.

Name:	2013-Chevrolet-Traverse.jpg 
Views:	943 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	50884

Second Wave (Weeks into Months) - 4WD Suburban with tow package and 4WD Subaru Wagon
    Once reality sets in that this is going to be a long-term deal, I figured that I would need a couple of different things. While looking for that farm or prison that would provide a lot more security, there would have to be a minimal amount of driving to keep noise levels down and keep fuel reserves in supply. I figure that if the weather was good (no mud, no snow) then a larger 4WD truck or suburban would give me the ability to have a lot of storage and towing capacity, I would probably want a trailer once I found a bunch of supplies that I wanted to bring back.

Name:	F60168.jpg 
Views:	1027 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	50885

However, before that I assume there would have to be scouting missions that would have to be quieter, that's where the Subaru would come in handy. I know from my days up in the mountains that those things run like crazy, they sometimes lack power, but they have excellent light off-road abilities and should the roads prove to be littered with debris, then a small excursion into a muddy trail would be best traveled over with one of these vehicles first.

Name:	2010-Subaru-Outback-4WD.jpg 
Views:	992 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	50886

Third Wave (Months into Years) - Diesel full-sized Trucks, Armored Transport Vehicle Diesel Supply Tanker Semi Truck
    So, should this thing be the real deal for years, then at some point I would want to move somewhere with the best combination of weather, topography, farming, ranching, etc. For me, that might be somewhere out west a bit more, where the population is already a bit on the light-side, but with good infrastructure, defensive land positions, etc. I'd have to figure out where the oil refineries are, I'd want to be within a short drive from at least one of them and especially if some diesel tanks could found as I think that diesel would be the best long-term solution. I could see a small group driving across the country in a couple of full-size Duramax diesel trucks with at least one armored truck and a diesel tanker truck in there as well.

Name:	HQ_640.jpg 
Views:	1076 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	50887

Name:	American_Armored_Car.jpg 
Views:	723 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	50888

Name:	Fuel-tank-semi-trailers.jpg 
Views:	769 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	50889

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    Agreed as above but I'd rather have a Argo 6x6 They can go in water and float to get away... http://www.argoutv.com/recreational/...sories%20shown

Name:	261_ARGO-hunting-12(450X600)v1.jpg 
Views:	1021 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	50869
    Does a version of this exist with a full cage around it? Again, we're talking about maybe running into a herd of zombies who want to make you a manwich, so how do you keep them away from from the driver/passenger?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Does a version of this exist with a full cage around it? Again, we're talking about maybe running into a herd of zombies who want to make you a manwich, so how do you keep them away from from the driver/passenger?
    Drive..... FAST!!!!!
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    Drive..... FAST!!!!!
    But the zombies are all like ... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZombieHerd_blog.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	50919

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Tie a fat chick to the front bumper that should keep them busy long enough for you to make your escape.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast