GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 70
  1. #51
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Live in unincorporated San Diego County, California.
    Posts
    3

    Default What are we really preparing for.....

    Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    That's everyone's plan. As a result, the time to gather such things is BEFORE such an event. The zombie apocalypse is a euphemism for things like Hurricane Katrina, typhoons that wreck entire cities (think Japan), massive power outages (think solar flares that have downed the grid in New England), earthquakes (think the 1906 quake that leveled San Francisco), etc.

    During such events unprepared survivors ALL scramble for resources to get through the confusion ... which means a run on pharmacies, sporting good stores, grocery stores, etc -- assuming they're even standing. Chance favors the prepared mind ... and people with a plan to react to the event rather than prepare in advance for it are at a disadvantage.

    I'm no nutter end of the world type events of destruction, but I lived in Austin, TX when Katrina hit ... and 400+ miles from where Katrina made landfall I noticed that there were no batteries, bread, or water on the shelves of the grocery stores local to me. Who bought them all? People who came inland to get out of Katrina's path.

    I learned a valuable lesson from that and, afterward, did my own prep. Also consider that if everyone had 5 days of food and water (per person) on hand where Katrina made landfall ... FEMA's sluggishness would have been irrelevant.

    A little bit of prep goes a long, long way...

    This is too true. If we lose sight of the reality (and start believing that we're really preparing for zombies) then we'll STILL remain unprepared for the real emergencies which REALLY WILL happen. Whether it's an earthquake, snowstorm, hurricane, cyberattack (or kinetic attack) on critical infrastructure; other terrorist attack (though Mother Nature has consistently topped anything a terrorist might even dream of); meltdown of a local nuclear power plant; or 'merely' a multi-day/week power outage caused by any number of things. These are the things we need to prepare for. Keeping vehicle gas tanks full (a lesson that NEVER seems to get learned); a few days of edible food and drinkable water on hand; a generator (that doesn't have multi-year-old gas in it); maybe some iodine tablets if you live near said nuclear power plant; some water purification capability; some lighting (propane lantern w/multiple propane bottles); some firewood; flashlights; batteries; maybe a propane stove or other way to cook; and most importantly, coffee and some way to make espresso.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ryounger View Post
    This is too true. If we lose sight of the reality (and start believing that we're really preparing for zombies) then we'll STILL remain unprepared for the real emergencies which REALLY WILL happen. Whether it's an earthquake, snowstorm, hurricane, cyberattack (or kinetic attack) on critical infrastructure; other terrorist attack (though Mother Nature has consistently topped anything a terrorist might even dream of); meltdown of a local nuclear power plant; or 'merely' a multi-day/week power outage caused by any number of things. These are the things we need to prepare for. Keeping vehicle gas tanks full (a lesson that NEVER seems to get learned); a few days of edible food and drinkable water on hand; a generator (that doesn't have multi-year-old gas in it); maybe some iodine tablets if you live near said nuclear power plant; some water purification capability; some lighting (propane lantern w/multiple propane bottles); some firewood; flashlights; batteries; maybe a propane stove or other way to cook; and most importantly, coffee and some way to make espresso.

    To the point of the original question: I can't think of a better vehicle to weather any storm in than a 4x4 2500 Suburban with the biggest honkin' engine that'll fit and some moderately aggressive M&S tires. If you had a medium sized Airstream trailer to go along with it that would be even better.

  2. #52

    Default

    Ok, not to be rude but of youall want a survival thread that's sans zombies, start your own thread and entitle it something without zombies.

  3. #53

    Default

    i do like your earlier idea steve, a big honking thing for hauling, and something small and fuel efficient for scouting around, and on that note, my second vehicle would be a old Scout. those things are tough, 4 wheel drive, and do semi decent off road totally stock.

    Alex


    2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

    Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

  4. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Ok, not to be rude but of youall want a survival thread that's sans zombies, start your own thread and entitle it something without zombies.
    I'm perfectly content with an actual zombie thread. But that also means all the other unreal stuff is fair game, too, as it makes no sense to be worried about fuel in a zombie scenario ... since gas that doesn't go bad is just as real as zombies!

  5. #55

    Default

    You're no fun. Where do you get off bringing logic into my zombie vehicle thread??

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Sierraowner5.3 View Post
    i do like your earlier idea steve, a big honking thing for hauling, and something small and fuel efficient for scouting around, and on that note, my second vehicle would be a old Scout. those things are tough, 4 wheel drive, and do semi decent off road totally stock.

    Alex
    My dad had a 65 scout with the full removable top that he put a 350 in when i was a kid, great vehicle.

  6. #56

    Default

    Grumpy!

    You know what the best zombie-vehicle probably is? A massive private yacht.

    Face it, you could live in luxury on that thing, store enough weapons/ammunition/rations to take over a small, coastal EU nation, feed yourself with fish, migrate to where it's warm so you don't have exposure hazards, move out of the way of storms, provide fresh water via solar desalination and catch basins, (there's enough surface area for it) ... and shambling zombies can't walk on water or drive boats and track people.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yacht-mayan-queen.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	51111

  7. #57

    Default Barter Town

    Oh yes... I think we are on the right track with the yacht but again fuel being an issue, let's step it up a notch...


    And we sell / trade the power for food and supplies!
    You can call me Big Earn

  8. #58

    Default

    we actually had a deep analysis on this recently lol
    if we were going to do a land based GTFO senario for a large scale disaster we would:
    get dry ice for the fridge, fill all the bathtubs with fresh water, and wait till roads were just about empty.
    then, avoiding major cities we would head for the rim of the grand canyon and basically camp and hunt and do the whole wolvereins/red dawn thing. river in winter, rim in summer.
    SEA based would be almost the same, but we would stick close to shore so we could use the harbors for shelter and attempt to make shore landings for fresh water. of course then your completelydepending on your vehicle god forbid you run a ground, loose an anchor, or loose a sale.... so youd be confined on the boat a LOT anchored a LOT to help preserve it... and unless you have capable saling friends chances are the boat would be pretty small.
    a big gas guzzle yaht wouldnt work... gas sours... you need to assume youll be on your own for a year
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

  9. #59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K15 Blazer Guy View Post
    a big gas guzzle yaht wouldnt work... gas sours... you need to assume youll be on your own for a year
    It'd work fine in the context of this thread ... because gas that never goes bad is just as real as zombies.

  10. #60

    Default

    lol yeah
    more real would be like, government meltdown. no phones,no power, no grocery stores, no gas, and no emergency services. so youd be shooting looters, not zombies
    but even "katrina" wasnt THAT bad... in most areas... i did see some footage of it...
    still pretty unlikely though
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Walking Dead - Awesomeness?
    By Steve in forum The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-05-2013, 02:52 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-05-2012, 12:15 PM
  3. Vehicle connected with 4 homicides is found, dead man inside - Wisconsin Radio Networ
    By Steve in forum Chevy Traverse Forum (GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-07-2009, 03:30 PM
  4. Friends Accident, lucky to be walking
    By cdunbar29 in forum The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-16-2008, 09:13 PM
  5. POLICE NEWS: Pedestrian struck by vehicle on Waco Drive - Waco Tribune Herald
    By Steve in forum Chevy Trailblazer Forum (GMC Envoy)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2008, 11:00 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •