GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sr. Apprentice

Default Why can't Chevy make a Raptor fighter?

I have been a Chevy guy my whole life, from the first time I set my eyes on my Grandpa's old Chevy farm truck, but why can't GM make a fun truck? Don't get me wrong I love my truck and I have some fun in it, but why can't they make a truck that would compete with the Raptor? Something with a big motor, beefy tires and off road oriented. Can anyone answer me this? I'm seriously considering trading mine in on a Raptor unless they can figure something up.

Just having a little fun on Sunday seeing what all the other Chevy (and GMC) guys thought.
    2011 Chevrolet Silverado LT Z71

Meet the ZR2 Silverado. GM never produced it because they saw how horrible the raptor sold and decided it wasn't worth it to make it a production model.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zr2.jpg 
Views:	3139 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	50905
    There is the older ZR2 S-10s and Blazers as well as some specially built Tahoe Z71s and Silverados but these were built in the late 90's and early 2000's where the economy was strong and GM was willing to risk the cost.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

If they ever decided to produce that truck I'd have mine the day they hit the showroom floor......
    -Nick
    2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 LT, Z71 Appearance Package, Vortec 5.3L AFM
    Victory Red, Ebony Cloth
    Custom pin striping, Bed Rail Protectors, GM Bed Liner, Husky Liner Floor Liners, Tint, Wade In-Channel Window Visors, Tractor Supply Black Low Profile Toolbox

Legend
    Blog Entries

I agree 100%, but unfortunately what you get with the said combo is about 10mpg's. expensive to replace tires, and a niche vehicle that a select few would buy. Plus that truck would be an easy $50k+
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    I agree 100%, but unfortunately what you get with the said combo is about 10mpg's. expensive to replace tires, and a niche vehicle that a select few would buy. Plus that truck would be an easy $50k+
    That prototype truck would cost +50k in mass production? Other than the off road stuff, I think the 2014's should at least look like this (body panels, hood, etc) stock. They might actually sell more trucks for once.

And have a dual paint color scheme also, that actually sets the truck off.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

You want to know why?? Because GM does NOT know how to build and Market a Truck that good. Remember A Z71 is nothing more then a Locker some skid plates and stickers.. Yay..... NOT!!!!! And how much are they??? Don't know where you are BUT the Raptor sells well here in the NE. If GM did have one You can bet that it will be way Over priced and this is why they would not sell well..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrown88 View Post
    ...why can't GM make a fun truck?
    GM -does- make a fun truck, they just leave it to you to customize instead of stamping out Raptor clones.

Frankly, I prefer that, and all the people with cookie cutter Raptors crack me up. For that kind of money they could have each tweaked their trucks to be their own visions of what a truck is. Instead of using their imaginations with that budget, they each bought clones ... and now they've each got just another (humdrum) Raptor.

I mean what's a Raptor got that you can't do, yourself? 35's? You can add them. Fender flares to cover those 35's? Add them. 6.2L V8? You can buy a GM with a big engine if you want and customize, from there. 12" of supension travel? Yup, if you care about that you can do that, too. Toggle switches? You can do those, yourself, too. Oh, and as a reminder, you can do pretty much all of the aftermarket items, there, cheaper than if they came from the factory.

For those who would buy a GM equivalent if it existed, I have to ask you, "Why?" Why not make your truck into what you want from a truck ... instead of settling for someone else's vision???

When was the last time GM actually had a vehicle to compete with any of the SVO vehicles? The Raptor has a niche for people that may not have the time or imagination to do it on their own. Lets look at the items on the Raptor that people like/want. Fox shocks. I got King's. Raptor 35's, BDS suspension to clear 35's. Raptor has big horsepower, add a Edelbrock supercharger to increase your power out put. I am sure there is more but those are the big things. A Raptor goes for about 55k I think.
    $2k Suspsion
    $1500 tires
    $5k Supercharger
    $1500 for regear
    With that being said the sticker price for my truck was around $43k. So add all the things listed along with the purchase price and you have a GM badged truck that is as much fun as a Raptor.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Well really the high end Camero ZL1 and Corvette ZL1 and ZO6 are production SVO vehicles. For trucks the last would be the ZR2 Blazers and S-10s and the Silverado SS. ZR2 stopped production in 2005. So right when the economy began to tank.

Also @aloxdaddy99 why use an aftermarket super charger when GM makes several diffident ones... As well as crate engines and trannys.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

I had a ZR2 Blazer and although I had no issues with it SVO it was not.
    I listed an Edelbrock supercharger because I knew the price on it. I have no idea of price/quality for the GM units. A 572 runs in the neighborhood of $7k or more.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast