GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Really?? Multiple times I have seen AC delco plugs with 75,000 miles or more that still look new. They are actually still within the gap spec most the time. Are you talking about vehicles with major mods?
    I agree with Pikey mine were factory with 197,000 miles on them when I removed them and they were close to factory gaps. Of course my Tahoe was one of the first GMs to use stock platinum plugs rated for 100,000 miles before they needed to be checked or changed. One broke when removing but that was because I didn't use enough penetrating oil. Others came out with out a problem at the shop that I then brought the truck too so they could remove the broken plug.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

My wife's Saturn Vue has 95k on it. The only things that have been done to it are oil changes when she tells me it has been 5k miles, flushed tranny,front pads (hurry up and stop driver) and put new tires on it. I know I need to spend some money on it but it seems to run ok.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Saturn's run forever it seems. I keep hearing people with 200-300k and no major issues. It's like the little engines that can.
    -Nick
    2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 LT, Z71 Appearance Package, Vortec 5.3L AFM
    Victory Red, Ebony Cloth
    Custom pin striping, Bed Rail Protectors, GM Bed Liner, Husky Liner Floor Liners, Tint, Wade In-Channel Window Visors, Tractor Supply Black Low Profile Toolbox

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    Believe it or not, it's true. Other than oil changes every 3-5k, brakes at 160k, and now spark plugs at 234k, I have done NO work to this car. Oh, and I changed the tires once... That's it. It has the 2.2L Ecotec motor, which is also found in several other GM and Pontiac vehicles. The block and head are aluminum. I do need some front suspension parts, but considering the age, it's been a spectacular car reliability-wise. Most of my miles are highway miles with some traffic jams, so it gets a lot of cruising time. I don't drive it hard, tow only occasionally, and generally feed it Exxon fuel.

I did change the "plug wires" if you want to call them that when I did the plugs. It's coil-on-plug, so the wires looked just like 4 inch extensions and nothing more. Next I may run a bottle of injector cleaner through since I've never done that yet. The suspension definitely needs some love, but with struts being $133 each, that's going to have to wait a while longer.
    I have not replaced plugs on any or my cars since my 1989 Isuzu pickup. Today's platinum tipped plugs are good for at least 100K miles, and I rarely keep a vehicle over 100K (I get sick of looking at it).

You bought that Ion new and have only replaced the tires once? No way you get 100K+ out of a set of tires.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

I have officially run 1 full tank of fuel through it since changing the plugs. I got 32MPG this go-round. That's right in the middle of my average range of fuel mileage, so it looks like it didn't hurt it, but it didn't help it either. The engine definitely seems to run and idle better than before I changed the plugs. I'm not having the slumping when coming from medium RPMs to idle like I used to have where the engine would shake as it ran below the idle speed.

This weekend I'm going to pick up a can of Seafoam to dump in the tank to try to clean up the injectors and carbon. I'm not expecting any real performance improvements, but anything that will help me get more life out of the car. I'm also going to bite the bullet and change out the front struts this weekend. I'm tired of all the suspension noise and getting beat up from the road.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

What about the cam belt? That is one I am not looking forward to do on the Vue.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

As far as I know based on my research, I am lucky in that this engine has a chain, which are typically more resilient and can go more miles. So, I have not replaced the timing chain yet. Also from my research, this is not an interference motor, which gives me peace of mind.

I'm I am wrong in these assumptions, PLEASE let me know so I don't have a ticking timebomb on my hands!
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Sure others have more on original plugs I have an '06 5.3l and 90,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    That's insane that you didn't get misfires before. Only thing I can figure is that you had a strong electrical current. Hopefully, you changed out your plug wires, too. Those will degrade with time as well.

Amazing!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12