GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
    Jr. Apprentice

Default Viberation or drone from about 45-65 mph

My truck is an 05 silverado. 4x4, ext cab has about 83k on it and when im driving from around 45-65 mph there is a viberation that i can hear and feel on the floorboard. It kind of sounds like when you hit the rumble strips but no that extreme, and it goes in and out the faster you go the more it does it. i thought it was a wheel bearing so i replaced that and it still does it. i did a search and some people were saying maybe the driveshaft? but doesnt seem right with the miles and only ever pulled my motorcycle. the noise is hard to explain but its starting to be a pita! any help or input id appreciate!. thanks

- - - Updated - - -

also the tires are good, i even roted them to check and still had the noise in the frony.

Any chance you've recently made exhaust modifications? If you have, its possible you've got a resonance problem. Other than that, I'd rotate the tires, and see if it's a tread issue. Worn tires can do the same thing.
    2006 Vortec Max 1500
    Performance:
    -Custom Tune (389HP 440 Ft/lbs Trq - Dyno'd) | Volant CAI | Magnaflow Dual-in/out Exhaust w/3" stainless pipe tips | Fully Built Transmission w/ Red Eagle Clutches & Kolene Steels w/ Corvette Servos and Stage2 Shift Kit | 35K Tranny Cooler | Mobil 1 | Royal Purple Rear Diff
    Other:
    -Spray-in Bed Liner
    -Premium Sound w/lifetime Satellite Radio | Leather | Sunroof | Heated Seats
    -Limbstriping from USING the truck (those are badges of honor)

Jr. Apprentice

no exhaust. still stock exhaust and tires are good, i even tried to rotate them! im stumped and getting anoyed with it lol

I recommend taking it to a tire shop and having them evaluate the suspension. They'll do this for free, usually (like at Les Schwab) and you can deduce whether or not there's something in the suspension that's causing the problem. I suspect something is out of alignment or spec.

Can you post a video of the sound?

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

There can be any number of things.... can you feel it in the wheel? what does it do when applying breaks firmly? Is the rim hot to the touch? what happens when you throw it in neutral when it is happening? Maybe a warped rotor, sticky caliper, bad tranny mount or even a hub that has not fully disengaged.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

Do you have an Auto AWD position on your transfer case?
    If you do, are you driving in that selection?
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Former Member

Sounds like a seizing ujoint to me...the sealed for life units will dry out and seize, and still show externally that they are good. Pull the shaft, and flex the u-joints by hand and see if there is a tight one.

Jr. Apprentice

Thanks for the help so far guys, i tried to get a video but you couldnt hear it on my phone. it still does it when i put it in neutral, and when i apply the brakes. and noticed that it is a lot more noticeable if its colder out? could it be the oil in the front diff? and i the viberation is mostly on my drivers side floor board dont really feel it in the wheel! im almost out of ideas but i think ill try the u joint since its a pretty cheap fix and go from there. Thanks again for the help

- - - Updated - - -

also i have the RC full leveling kit on it not sure if that changes anything or not

I think your onto something with the universal joints... I've personally not had them cause a vibration when they have failed... but I do not see why the couldn't. Anyway, they are cheap and easy to replace and sounds Luke a logical place to start.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by