GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Help! head light problem

I have a 2004 Chevy silverado with a 5.3L and my head lights keep burning out. Sometimes I can hit them and they will come back on but other times I have to replace bulbs has been happening for about 2 months now and dont know what could be wrong. Please help me out. Thanks

Jr. Mechanic

how is youre charging system behaving?,all i can think of would be excessive voltage,i.e. voltage regulator in alternator gone goofy,what else a loose wire spiking the system?hope that helps,if not post back anyways,strange symtom

Sr. Apprentice

Are you making sure you get the bulbs spotless and do not handle them with your fingers at all after that?
    2010 Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab 5.3

Quote Originally Posted by geo1 View Post
    how is youre charging system behaving?,all i can think of would be excessive voltage,i.e. voltage regulator in alternator gone goofy,what else a loose wire spiking the system?hope that helps,if not post back anyways,strange symtom

okay ill let you know whats going on with it later today im gonna take it into the shop at school

- - - Updated - - -

think i found the problem driver side bulb was a 55 watt and passenger was a 51 watt bulb which is what recommended. anyway swapped bulbs and the problem hasnt happened since

Yep, it you touch them with your fingers, they will burn out. Don't know why a vibration (banging) would bring them back on. You might want to spray the socket with brake cleaner, and very lightly rough up any metal contact points you can reach (not sure what config the socket has for that year). Often the metal gets lightly corroded, and blowing it out and roughing it up improves contact.