GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I would look into a selectable locker like an ARB. That way you keep your on road characteristics the same but greatly improve your off road ability.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick8298 View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone. I've gotta figure out which locker to buy and get some prices, but I really appreciate the help. This has actually been my first thread on any forum ever, and it's paid off!

One more thing though, if I went to a pick and pull and found a nbs z71, could I pull the differential out of that and use it? Or would a new aftermarket Eaton or Detroit locker be the best bet? I'm still pretty green when it comes to stuff like this.
    If you are taking a trip to the "boneyard" I would just get the whole axle, remembering to match gear ratio, or know what the new axle is. If you're going to just change gears and carrier, your money is better spent for what aftermarket parts you want (gears, locker, etc).
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

I'll post pictures as soon as I get the parts on, tires will be first, but this weekend I'm going to look at z71 axles and if I have any more questions I'll be sure to ask. Again, thanks everyone.

Former Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick8298 View Post
    I'll post pictures as soon as I get the parts on, tires will be first, but this weekend I'm going to look at z71 axles and if I have any more questions I'll be sure to ask. Again, thanks everyone.

As previously noted, you won't know the condition of used axles...

There is actually a 10-bolt no-spin for sale on my local Craigslist...allentown, PA.

This is just my simple opinion.
    rear locker G80 would work but if you can afford the extra id go for a selectable im always partial to the ARB because it has an air compressor and with a tank added it becomes real useful to run tools or air tires back up.
    But electric lockers are great to just not as many advantages.
    A 3" spindle lift and rearsprings or shackles to level the truck would give clearance for a suitable size tire.
    And for those days when traction just cant be found a portable winch to make your own traction.
    Added along with items like wood blocks jacks shovels and other assorted gear you should be able to attack most farm roads and a few game trails.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12