GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Proportionately, will these tires look dumb? What's your opinion?

It's time for some new tires, so I'm going to go up a size from my stock 245/75 R16.
    I want to go up to 265/75 R16 or 285/75 R16 and I'm thinking about Yokohama Geolander AT-S.
    With new tires I also want to get a lift aswell, probably the 2.5 lift/level kit from rough country because it's cost effective; I just want a little bit extra height.
    My truck ALSO has, fender flares that I installed after fixing body rust, they are slightly larger than OEM.
    here is a pic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flares 6.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	50961

Now my question is.. In your opinion GMTC community:
    What size of tires would you recommend for my truck?
    Slight lift, flares. I do not want anything really big, It's not an off roader. I just want to fill the wheel wells up a bit more and gain some height.
    Thanks
    Pondwarrior

If you do a slight lift or level, you could go with the 285s if your rims are wide enough. Lots of people run 285s on rims that aren't wide enough for them and have no problems, but I personally wouldn't run too wide of a tire on a rim because it causes it to bulge a lot and could potentially result in unseating of the bead when loaded or cornering.

The 265/75r16 should be fine though. I had a set that size for winter tires on my 2001 Silverado 2wd with factory suspension and they didn't look overly bulky or dumb.

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by pmf608 View Post
    If you do a slight lift or level, you could go with the 285s if your rims are wide enough. Lots of people run 285s on rims that aren't wide enough for them and have no problems, but I personally wouldn't run too wide of a tire on a rim because it causes it to bulge a lot and could potentially result in unseating of the bead when loaded or cornering.

The 265/75r16 should be fine though. I had a set that size for winter tires on my 2001 Silverado 2wd with factory suspension and they didn't look overly bulky or dumb.
    I have stock rims, I'm more worried if it will look too small. What do you think?
    I don't want it to look like I'm driving around on little pizza cutter tires!

Blog Entries

I don't think they'll look too bad actually, a lot of people go with a move like that.
    Clint
    Rockwall, Texas

2008 Suburban 4WD BEAST! plus a couple of other Chevy rides!

x2 on what Pmf608 has mentioned on going with the 265/75/16's......here are the Specs on the Stock Tires and the 2-Tire Sizes you've mentioned above,
    ***245/75/16's have a Overall Diameter of......30.5ins" and a Section Width of 9.6ins"
    ***265/75/16's have a Overall Diameter of......31.7ins" and a Section Width of 10.4ins"
    ***285/75/16's have a Overall Diameter of......32.8ins" and a Section Width of 11.2ins"

If you do Go with a Larger Overall Diameter Tire, keep in mind that your Trucks Computer Calculates your
    Trucks Speed based on the Overall Diameter of the Stock Tires......by installing Taller Tires, the Computer doesn’t know how fast your Truck is going. As a result, the Automatic Transmission may Not Shift Correctly and the Speedometer Readings will Not be Accurate......you can have your Trucks Computer, Re-Programmed for this Change in Tire Size.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN