GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question Center Seat Swap

Hey folks, been looking at set ups on other trucks and was wondering if I could replace my center jump seat with the center console option. Don't get me wrong, the center seat is nice and all, but I never USE it. would the console bolt into the existing brackets? About how much would a new console run (if I don't have any luck finding one at the tow yard). The vehicle is a 2010 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended cab SLE. Thanks for the help!

2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Extended Cab Z71 4X4 5.3L Flex Fuel
    MagnaFlow single in duel out system
    Volant CAI & Ram Air Scoop with Power Core Filter
    Rhino Tuff Grip Spray in Bed liner
    Undercover Classic Tonneau
    Trail FX Bug "deflector"
    AVS Window Deflectors
    Black Powder Coated Nerf Bars
    RECON L.E.D. Interior, 3rd Cab light, Projector headlights, and Taillights
    ATX Crawl Wheels wrapped in BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain tires
    CalTrend Neoprene seat covers
    2" leveling kit from Max Trac
    Diablo Trinity with Diablew Tune

I think your dash is like mine with the vents on either side of the radio. The issue with most of the center consoles is they are for a different style dash. One where the radio sits a bit lower with the 2 front air vents over top of the radio. I have been wanting to do this same thing but not sure how the dash/center console will mate up and look. The bolts should mount up though.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Thanks for the info! I also tried contacting my local GMC dealer about the potential swap, and they told me they couldn't do it because they were not federally certified to swap out my current seats. They told me that they'd have to replace my seats with bucket seats in order to get the center console. Now this I don't understand. I would agree with them if my front seat was the 40/60 split bench, but my seats are not. The driver and passenger seats move independently of each other, and the center jump seat is stationary. It is fixed in place, and is NOT attached to EITHER seat. Now if the brackets are that different, or there was wiring involved I'd understand, but telling me my seats are the issue...that I don't get. The sales manager sent an e-mail asking for me to come in to "go into further detail" about the swap. Not sure how I feel about that as an e-mail would suffice. I'll get back to ya'll about how that goes. In the mean time if any of ya'll can clarify for me, I'd be greatly appreciative!

- - - Updated - - -

Alright folks, update time!

Swung by the GMC dealership to talk with their sales manager. Apparently, they were under the assumption that my truck had the 40/60 split bench seat. After showing that My truck did indeed have bucket seats, we moved to the actual console. Turns out that the dealership is probably NOT the best place to go to find a center console! They'd have to order every component separately (so they told me) which came out to a 4 figure number. They recommended I check with other OEM websites for the part(s), or maybe even a salvage yard.

Over all, it IS possible for me to swap my center jump seat with a center console. The brackets used for the jump seat are the same ones used by the console. Good news for me! Now I just have to hunt down a decently priced seat, and get to installing!

I found my console on ebay. A four figure price from the dealership sounds ridiculous! My truck is an 07 and at the time i bought mine there were a variety of years available. When you do the swap you will need to use a e-torx socket. I don't recall the size right now. If you have trouble locating a seat on ebay send me a pm and I'll hunt down the links and let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    I found my console on ebay. A four figure price from the dealership sounds ridiculous! My truck is an 07 and at the time i bought mine there were a variety of years available. When you do the swap you will need to use a e-torx socket. I don't recall the size right now. If you have trouble locating a seat on ebay send me a pm and I'll hunt down the links and let you know.
    Can you post some pics of your swap?

I don't know how to post photos, but will try to learn. It was simply a matter of unplugging the seat belt circuitry under the seats, very easy and straight forward. Then taking off the four (4) nuts that held each set to the rails. Doing the same for the center seat and then replacing everything. Again the nuts take an e-torx socket but I still don't recall the size.