GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Door/Warning Chimes and Radio Work... Sometimes.

I have a 2005 Silverado LT Crewcab 2500 Duramax with the Bose system. I've taken this issue to a GM dealer, and they refuse to work on it, so I'm looking for alternate help.

The door/warning chimes and radio only work about 10% of the time. It seems to work when I haven't driven the truck in a few days, and never seems to work if I have driven the truck in the last 24 hours. When it does work, I can be driving down a smooth road and the radio suddenly stops playing. I've also missed a low fuel warning chime a couple times, but thankfully haven't been stranded. Yet.

At the dealer, I arrived, and the radio was working. Turned truck off, checked it in, they were getting mileage and noticed the lack of chimes. I said that's one of the things I wanted them to work on. They turned the key to off and back to on, and the radio and chimes came back. They said, Fixed. It's not.

Car Toys said it was the amps (conversation only, not based on actual diagnostics), but since the system does periodically come back to me, I'm not convinced. I don't think it's fuses, either. I could be wrong, though.

The truck does have a professionally-installed aftermarket roof DVD system, installed by the previous owner. I've had this truck for just over a year, and it's been doing this for the last 4 months. The DVD system has been used twice since my purchase (the back seat is set up for dogs, and they really don't care to watch a movie).

I have a long trip coming up, and would really like to get the issue resolved. Where do I start?

TIA!

April Fingerlos
    Parker, Colorado

April, without having my hands on the truck, a broad guess is the connections the previous owner (owner's installer) made to connect the roof DVD.

From your description, the new DVD was tied into the existing radio system. Try to find the place where the DVD was connected to the radio harness, inspect each connection for good connection and you will probably find a loose power connection.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Also Could be the speaker its self. My 03 Silverado with the factory radio had this issue and it was the drivers front speaker.. You can check if it is that by setting all your sound to the left and front speaker and see if it is putting out music or not when the door chime is not working. Speakers do go bad... I pulled my aftermarket cd player cause I thought it was going bad.

My 05 ccsb had this issue, and it turned out to be the driver front speaker. You could also check the wiring going through the door for damage.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Look at wiring in drivers side door. My 2008 2500 HD did same thing.