GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Switch Placement Help

Earlier today I posted in the What have you done today thread about some switches I received. So today I go out to the truck to install them. The only problem is when I take off the panel the clearance behind the panel is almost zero!! I was looking to install them inthe panel below the HVAC/Radio panel. The bluetooth control module is mounted in that location ad takes up almost the entire area.
    Which brings me to my question. Where should I mount them? They are about 2 1/2 inches deep. I want them with in a comfortable arms reach.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Nice switches... Can you post a pic of your dash?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

oh, post pics, post pics, post pics when you get the mounted. I've got no idea where you would want them, probably a few options I suppose. ???

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

could stick them down where i mounted my switch dude. i had enough room there. another option might be in the overhead by the dome light.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

@Sierraowner5.3 the issue is the depth.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130330_160118_084.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	51057Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130330_160128_973.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	51058

I would like the overhead console I just don't know #1 how much depth is there. #2 how to remove it.

Legend

Make a custom box in front of the Cup holders? or in the center console?

A spot I was thinking about was on the lower part of the center console. Plenty of area. Easy access. The only issue is you can't see the switches.

Legend

Do you have a better pic of the housing around the switches? I have an Idea..... Can you mount them below the 3 and lighter plugs but facing up?

@Enkeiavalanche do you like fiberglassing an enclosure so the switches face upwards toward the roof? Me and fiberglass are not good friends.

Sweet looking switches. Did you get them from the same place surrelalone did? What does the beer switch do?

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by