GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Painting certain parts of my truck. With spray paint

So I got tired if looking at the ugly *ss sun bleached, yellowish...orangish... Color of the side molding on my truck. So I decided to paint it.
    Far shot is before. Close shot is after.

I will be doing rims later this week with a timeline pics of the process!!!

the paint used is Rust-Oleum flat black, for aluminum, and plastic.

The materials I'm using for my rims I will post pics before I start on Friday morning. Hope y'all enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS V8 4.8L Ext Cab Standard bed. K&N Air Filter, and Flowmaster Series 40 Muffler. 2 12"in JL audio subs, 1500w amp
    2002 Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 7.3L Diesel Short Bed
    2004 Chevrolet Suburban LT

Those look good, I did mine last year with plasti dip and think I may do them with real paint this year. Can't wait to see how the wheels turn out!
    "The best things in life aren't things"

2007 Chevy Silverado Classic 1500
    Ext Cab 4wd LT
    Check out my garage
    http://www.NStarWindow.com

I saw at Home Depot that they have bumper, and trim spray cans of flat black, I picked up a couple of them. I plan now to paint both the upper part and the under part of the chrome of the front bumper. Gonna do black and gonna do a couple of coats then some coats of flat clear coat.

Just got back from homedepot. Little short on cash today so I need to pick up more later here are the starting materials!
    I'm gettin a bit anxious to this already haha but I gotta wash truck first! ;)

I also have have two more cans over then black aluminum and plastic paint. I just need to get one more can of clear coat and bumper/trim paint.!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Here she is all clean ready for big day of painting.

Make sure you scuff up the rims before you paint them with the etching primer. Than sand again after the primer with a light grit sand paper. I learned the hard way that the devil is in the prep. Not sure how the "plastic" paint works and yes I know you have finished the trim.But, I would suggest an adhesion promoter. If all of this is stuff you know than sorry to waste your time.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Quote Originally Posted by aloxdaddy99 View Post
    Make sure you scuff up the rims before you paint them with the etching primer. Than sand again after the primer with a light grit sand paper. I learned the hard way that the devil is in the prep. Not sure how the "plastic" paint works and yes I know you have finished the trim.But, I would suggest an adhesion promoter. If all of this is stuff you know than sorry to waste your time.
    what type grit you think would be too to do the first roughing with???

you wouldn't want to use something that will put deep marks in that will show through the paint. but scotch bright might be a good place to start.

scotch bright should be good to scuff. But something in the 440 range or higher

Quote Originally Posted by aloxdaddy99 View Post
    scotch bright should be good to scuff. But something in the 440 range or higher
    So to start off I don't need to use 180grain? I have 400 but ill look for 440.

- - - Updated - - -

Well here's what I'll be working with!

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by