GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Other Upgrade Ideas?

Ok, I had plans to get a four inch lift, 33 inch tires, dual 3-inch flowmaster, iffy about taking out the cat, on my 86 Suburban. There aren't any emissions laws where I live but I'm not sure I want worse gas mileage than we already get. At the same time we chose to have that gas mileage when we chose to buy it a few weeks ago. I want a heavy duty bumper but my old lady doesn't. Other than the intake and filter, and a new carb, I was kinda just stuck there.

As for new headers, maybe upgrading my axles to 3/4-tons, and lockers, are there other ideas to beef it up? Brand recommendations for certain items?

First of all if you live in the U.S. there are Emissions regulations where you live, if your particular county doesnt have required Emissions testing due to population density that doesnt eliminate your vehicle from having Cats or other emissions equipment.
    Their required by Federal law and as such if you get caught removing or tampering with them you can be subject to a $10K fine and/or 1 yr in jail.
    The EPA is cracking down on Emissions violaters in rural areas, over the past 3 years they've begun setting up portable Emissions testing stations along side roads and highways that snap a picture of the license plate on any vehicle passing that fails to meet certain threshhold limits, they'll mail you a citation with a court date and in some cases a date and place to bring the vehicle in for inspection. If you dont comply with the citation some date in the future you can either expect to get pulled over and detained or a knock on your front door. Either way you normally end up with a ride to the local Police station to clear things up.
    Your truck, your choice but I recommend ya leave those cats on. Unless your running lots of horsepower they dont degrade performance, many engines run much better with them on now days.
    Same thing with a 3" exhaust, you open the exhaust up to much and you'll lose horsepower in the lower RPM's. A decent set of Long tube headers into 2" or 2 1/4" pipes will improve horsepower and mileage some depending on how you drive.

Ok ok clam down like I said I was thinking about the cat idea plus I like the though of the exhaust ideas I didn't know that...

The exhaust is a good example of more isn't always better. Your truck needs a certain amount of back pressure to run the best. As @tbplus10 was saying a 2" or so set of pipes is enough to give the sound most look for and the slight boost in performance.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

You live in Thurston County. I am in King. Yes there are plenty of laws related to your rig here, and you happen to live in the one county where all the legislative activity is, and where the State Patrol is headquartered. Hello? Anybody home?

Removal or tampering with a catalytic converter carries a $10,000 fine (and possible incarceration in a prison somewhere). Do you have that much money to throw away? Or are you one of the "they'll never catch me" people? I think I heard that "logic" from that multiple offense DUI suspect who mowed down the three adults (and instantly killed two) and the baby in Seattle last week.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

Look dude calm the f down.... I say once again I was Thinking about it. So please back off