GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Hybrid View

Default Flomaster Exhaust

Alright boys, it's time for exhaust. I've done some research and it looks like Flomaster True Duals 40 Series is really popular. I just don't know what it sounds like. I want something everyone can hear, but not so loud that its annoying for my neighbors.

Suggestions!

I have a single flowmaster 50 series and it's loud enough that with the truck 200' from my apartment and all windows shut, it's CLEARLY audible from inside when I remote start it ... and as it sits and warms up. The rumbling glug-glug-glug is throaty ... despite living in a heavily wooded environment where trees buffer some of the sound.

When at the family lake house I can hear it down in the basement when I remote start the trucjh, too -- despite the beasement being earth on three sides and having only 2 windows and two french doors (facing away from where the truck is parked). That's a heavily wooded environment, too.

True duals are going to be loud ... and you can expect a good bit of cab drone, too. Here are some on a 5.3L:

I have the series 40 muffler and it sounds great. It's loud but not abnouxious. And when you step on it people turn heads. Full exhaust may sound different though.

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS V8 4.8L Ext Cab Standard bed. K&N Air Filter, and Flowmaster Series 40 Muffler. 2 12"in JL audio subs, 1500w amp
    2002 Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 7.3L Diesel Short Bed
    2004 Chevrolet Suburban LT

I'm thinking about just getting dual exhaust, it's a whole hell of a lot cheaper than true duals.

my last truck (05 sierra) had a single into dual super 40. it was loud, and it droned pretty good around 50-65 ish. i have a regualr 40 with stock pipe on my current truck, and I like it alot better, almost no drone, quiet unless you get on it.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRoss1986 View Post
    I'm thinking about just getting dual exhaust, it's a whole hell of a lot cheaper than true duals.
    Well, are you modifying your exhaust purely for sound reasons or are you trying to improve exhaust flow (so that you can then send more air into the engine thanks to the increased flow)? If for sound, only, then just go dual exhaust and save the cash. If for improved flow (which isn't terribly relevant if you're not also increasing flow on the intake side), you need true duals...

It's purely for sound. I was thinking about installing a cold air intake too, but its kind of pointless with without true duals.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRoss1986 View Post
    Alright boys, it's time for exhaust. I've done some research and it looks like Flomaster True Duals 40 Series is really popular. I just don't know what it sounds like. I want something everyone can hear, but not so loud that its annoying for my neighbors.

Suggestions!
    I have an 01 Silverado with a 5.3. I tried Flowmaster 4 series dual exaust but the drone was unbearable around 60-65. Switched to spintech and no drone whatsoever, but at startup and anytime I put my foot in it she sounds pretty mean!

Legend
    Blog Entries

I think the reason why It's the most popular is because it's cheap, from the trucks I have heard with them on the drone is horrible. I won't run em, but to each there own.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Sr. Apprentice

If you are afraid of drone go with a Corsa setup. No drone whatsoever and it sounds great. Trouble is they are very expensive compared to the Flowmaster.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by