GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: OBD2 Scanner

Hybrid View

Default OBD2 Scanner

In the last few weeks i have been having some issues with my 2002 Tahoe. It has this random stalling on the parkway after about 30 minutes of driving. It would just hiccup and then turn off. Once i pull over it would just crank and not start until maybe 40 minutes later. I changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, throttle position sensor, cam sensor, crank sensor and MAF sensor. It has been two weeks and so far so good but the question is i cant read ecm data using my obd2 scanner. When i try to read data like rpm, o2 sensor readings it freezes and the dash lights come on. I'm not sure if i'm driving the truck enough to cause the issue again but my question is why wouldn't i be able 'to read the data. I tested the scanner on two other trucks and it works fine. I'm thinking its an ECM issue and i have just been lucky so far. Anyone have any ideas that can help or at least what there next steps would be. I have asked a few friends and one guy stated maybe a bad fuse but i have no blown fuses. Thanks in advance for the help.

More info....This morning i tested my scanner on my brothers 2004 chevy tahoe, wifes gx470 lexus and it works fine i can read all the live data. I dont think its a scanner issue.
    Last edited by Vinniety; 04-02-2013 at 08:11 AM.

Go to a shop and have them scan it since they usually do it for free with a better scanner if theirs doesn't work they may be able to help you diagnose it for cheap. Also check all grounds, power leads and fusible links. You can reset the ECU by removing battery power for over 10 mins usually.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Thanks Conlan but my scanner works with the other trucks i have tested it with. Edited my main post.

I understand that but a good shop or dealer scanner can actually figure out the fragmented data on the truck end. The computer is the problem its not sending proper signals so you scanner doesn't understand what the F is going on. You ecm may need to be flashed or reset. Recently have you had a totally dead battery or alternator or a major electrical mod.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    I understand that but a good shop or dealer scanner can actually figure out the fragmented data on the truck end. The computer is the problem its not sending proper signals so you scanner doesn't understand what the F is going on. You ecm may need to be flashed or reset. Recently have you had a totally dead battery or alternator or a major electrical mod.
    Besides the stalling on the parkway issues nothing more then that. The truck runs and has been running fine in the last three or so weeks but i dont drive it that much so not sure if it will happen after staying on the parkway for more then 30-40 minutes. How can i reflash the ecm is that something i can do? I see some ecm for sale with the latest flash for 80-100 dollars wondering if i should go ahead with that. thanks for the help.