GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Squirrelly Steering when turning right

When turning right, and only right, sometimes my stearing goes squirrely. Almost feels like the steering gear jumps a tooth or something. Making a gentle turn and suddenly the wheel goes slack for a split second and the truck turns right a little harder and then goes back to normal.

Thoughts to cause? Anybody ever have this happen to them?

You didn't say how old you rig is. Check a few things. Rag joint that connects the steering column to the Steering box. Has there been any front end damage? check tire rod ends. Could even be a steering box issue. Check everything from the steering wheel to the tires.
    Last edited by mv86dually; 11-23-2011 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Spelling

Sorry, '97 K1500 125,000 miles.

I replaced my idler, pitman, and my steering is still loose. I'm pretty sure it is the steering box. I'm roughly close to your mileage and I also have oversized tires which decreases the life of all the steering components.

There is a tiny torsion bar that is built into the input shaft of the stearing gear that controls the valve for the fluid flow of the power steering. If that torsion bar breaks you can have what's called "hyper steering or super steering" because the valve floats in there and gives false fluid flow to the power steering. To check this remove the steering column shaft from the steering box and find a 12 point socket that goes onto the input shaft. With a ratchet or breaker bar on the socket urn the shaft back and forth a little (with the engine off & the steering tires on the ground for resistance). You should feel a very light tension at first then it get firm in both directions as it meets the resistance through the steering box. If you don't have immediate tension or it feels 'rattlely' then the torsion bar is broke. If it is the best fix is a new or reman steering box.
    Last edited by 40native; 11-28-2011 at 09:19 PM.

Can you adjust that torsion bar to make the steering tighter or does it not work that way?

Also to answer OP's original question, yes if you've replaced all those front end parts then its most likely your gear box. I replaced most of my front end parts and it helped a lot but its still slowing getting loose again. Probably gearbox.

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

Before you replace anything, stand on your head and look from the firewall up the steering column towards the steering wheel. You may see a donut shaped object on the steering column. It will be above the u-joint and on the exposed area of the column. If you see it, it is the steering wheel position sensor. I have a friend with a 97' 2-door tahoe and his does not have this peice, but the 2-doors got some random parts. When they go out, typically to the right somewhere between noon and 2 o'clock you will feel a dead zone when you are making a gradual right hand turn, it feels like you hit a piece of ice and then once you pass the dead zone steering returns to normal.

I joined to look up so suburban stuff, but presently I have a 99' 2-door tahoe and it had the same problem. I am not saying parts up front are not nicely worn at 125k miles, but for $25 online or $65 from a dealer, its a great place to start, easy to fix, and worked wonders for me.

Nate

Quote Originally Posted by sig p232 View Post
    Before you replace anything, stand on your head and look from the firewall up the steering column towards the steering wheel. You may see a donut shaped object on the steering column. It will be above the u-joint and on the exposed area of the column. If you see it, it is the steering wheel position sensor. I have a friend with a 97' 2-door tahoe and his does not have this peice, but the 2-doors got some random parts. When they go out, typically to the right somewhere between noon and 2 o'clock you will feel a dead zone when you are making a gradual right hand turn, it feels like you hit a piece of ice and then once you pass the dead zone steering returns to normal.

I joined to look up so suburban stuff, but presently I have a 99' 2-door tahoe and it had the same problem. I am not saying parts up front are not nicely worn at 125k miles, but for $25 online or $65 from a dealer, its a great place to start, easy to fix, and worked wonders for me.

Nate
    That's exactly what it feels like. Perfect description. I will take a look at that part today. I have not had time to look into the steering box yet.

I appreciate all the replies. Thanks all.

Let us know if it works for you.

Nate

Huntr,

Let me know if that donut thing worked for your situation, my 1997 Suburban has the same problem. I have a k1500 with 150k miles and slip and slides around like that too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast