GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default AWD or 4WD : Which one did the Yukon XL come with?

Did the regular Yukon XL come with AWD? I thought only the Denali and Escalade had the AWD. Dealer has one they swear is AWD and it's not a Denali. (a long way from me or I'd just go look)

AFAIK, you are right. See if they will give you the VIN, and run it through a VIN decoder.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by blackburb View Post
    Did the regular Yukon XL come with AWD? I thought only the Denali and Escalade had the AWD. Dealer has one they swear is AWD and it's not a Denali. (a long way from me or I'd just go look)
    They came with both awd and 4wd! It just depends on the specific truck. When I was looking for my 2005 I drove all over. I wanted 4wd not awd. Many dealers said that they were 4wd, but when I got to the dealer they turned out to be awd. The easiest way to tell is have them send you a pick of the push button selector on the dash. 4wd will have: Auto 4wd, 4 high, 2wd, 4 low, buttons. I think that the AWD just has a 2 low and traction control button.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

@Pikey would have the answers

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    They came with both awd and 4wd! It just depends on the specific truck. When I was looking for my 2005 I drove all over. I wanted 4wd not awd. Many dealers said that they were 4wd, but when I got to the dealer they turned out to be awd. The easiest way to tell is have them send you a pick of the push button selector on the dash. 4wd will have: Auto 4wd, 4 high, 2wd, 4 low, buttons. I think that the AWD just has a 2 low and traction control button.
    The Denali I drove (awd) had no buttons at all.

That is interesting. When I bought my 05 yukon xl I test drove about 50 trucks, some denali and some not. Every AWD denali I drove had at least a traction control button. I went with the 4wd. I have a friend with an awd and he gets at least one mile less per gallon and seems to be constantly replacing front end parts, ie wheel bearings, CV shafts, and front diff issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    That is interesting. When I bought my 05 yukon xl I test drove about 50 trucks, some denali and some not. Every AWD denali I drove had at least a traction control button. I went with the 4wd. I have a friend with an awd and he gets at least one mile less per gallon and seems to be constantly replacing front end parts, ie wheel bearings, CV shafts, and front diff issues.
    The Denali may have had a traction control button somewhere, but there was nothing to the left of the instrument cluster where the 4wd buttons would be, except an empty storage pocket.

Moot point now as I just had my brother pick me up an '01 2500 496 BB 4x4 out in California. Won't have it here for a month or so, but that's ok, it'll take me that long to get the old one ready to sell. (fortunately, it's also black so I don't have to change my screen name)

'01 K2500 496 big block It's here! It's here! It's finally here!

Jr. Apprentice

I'm not sure about the 2006 Yukon XL but in 2006 the Suburban LTZ model came with AWD but had no buttons to the left of the steering column. It was only available as a 6.0 litre.

All the Yukon XL and Suburbans had a choice of all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive. The AWD has three buttons on the left of the dash board and the 4 wheel drive had 4 buttons with the top button being round. All the Denali versions of the Yukon XL had AWD and no selector buttons. And yes the AWD drives totally different than the 4 wd. And yes the AWD eats parts and uses more gas. I would never buy the AWD.