GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Where are the dual rear axle 6x6 2500 and 3500 Light Duty trucks?

I get that this is a "niche" market and that the only company I know of that did this (6x6 USA) or something like that went out of business.

I also know that most people that need or want 6x6 drive will be moving to a "medium" duty 4500 or larger truck.

But I have seen some interesting combinations that are custom fabed for 6x6.

Has anyone seen or does anyone have a 6x6 light duty silverado were all 6 wheels are driven?

I know dodge did a ram prototype that never made it to production.

And, yes, it can be done, and it is not cheap, but it is not as expensive as some might think:

http://rides.trucktrend.com/ride/118.../photos/8.html

I want to see a Silverado HD 3500 outfitted like the ram in the gallery above.

That is the ugliest thing I have ever seen!!
    Never mind the extra weight from an extra axle would bog the truck down. The power plant would have to have some work done to make it useful off road. And if you don't intend to use it off road there isn't a need to have one.
    Your Unicorn is becoming more rare!!

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Quote Originally Posted by aloxdaddy99 View Post
    That is the ugliest thing I have ever seen!!
    Never mind the extra weight from an extra axle would bog the truck down. The power plant would have to have some work done to make it useful off road. And if you don't intend to use it off road there isn't a need to have one.
    Your Unicorn is becoming more rare!!

I need you to clarify what is "ugly"?

• Is it ugly because who needs that in a light duty truck?
    • Is it ugly because it is a RAM?

I suppose huge trucks only need 2 axles also with the right engine, tranny, and drive train? Why would a topkick need tandem axles.... just put 1 huge axle with 10 times the load capacity right? and a bigger engine and tranny.

I would consider full size trucks with 4.5ft short beds just as "ugly" then? So you bought a full size truck to go grab grocery's ?

Why is it ugly? Aesthetics!!

Has nothing to do with the brand. It just looks like something not so well thought out.

To me this one looks like some time was spent designing it before anything was cut or welded.
    The reasons most Top Kicks have tandem rear wheels isn't for offroading. Those things are usually hauling/towing a load with weight. So it is needed to increase it's capacity.
    Although my bed isn't much longer than the 4.5' one you mentioned but the F@#D Exploder Sport Trac is almost as ugly as the 6x that you posted a pic of. And yes it is only good to grab groceries.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

most any thing that really needs dual rear axles is something so far beyong what 99% of people need, why build it? if you REALLY need dual rear axles for weight carrying capacity, you NEED a full blown truck, and by that i mean something capable of 30,000 lbs plus, not a 1 ton pickup.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers