All,

I'm going to be transitioning to full-time RV status and have some towing/truck questions I'm hoping you'll help me answer.

I'll be pulling a 31' 5th wheel (hitch weight 2570 dry/ 4270 wet, Max GVWR 17,500).

I will not be "retired and traveling" but "living and working" so I don't anticipate towing more than four to six times per year. However those trips will probably be across multiple states.

My truck needs to be my daily driver unless I use my scooter or rent a car.

I am a lifelong "car guy" and am used to doing my research before buying. The closest I've been to driving a truck is an SUV. So, I've never driven a truck. What I have learned so far is that the truck market seems dramatically different from the car world.

I always start with the "money is no object" position and then back off from there so I can meet my needs and budget. To that end here's my "money is no object" choice: Silverado 3500HD, Extended cab, Long bed, 2WD, Duramax/Allison, DRW, 3.73 gear. Quite the expensive proposition, I think you'll agree.

I know that best practice is Duramax/Allison and DRW. However I need to ask the question of people who know way more than me: given my intended use and all of the above, do you think I could get away with a gas engine? SRW?

I'm not looking to compromise my saftey or buy a truck that will only last a year but, I'm not made of money and I've never owned a vehicle longer than four years. Regarding the "four years" part, should I readjust my perspective to owning this truck longer (meaning "Is that more of a car thing than a truck thing")?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and thanks in advance for any wisdom you can share.