GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default New Shocks What Else?

Ok so I asked a few weeks ago about new shocks and got some great advice. I went with the Monroe Reflex. I will be putting them on this comming weekend but i wanted to know as I am replacing the shock is there anything else i should look at to see if it needs to be replaced or worked on while im down there
    99 Silverado Ext Cab Z71 Third Door
    All stock for now

Should just be the shock unless you find something that needs replacing.

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS V8 4.8L Ext Cab Standard bed. K&N Air Filter, and Flowmaster Series 40 Muffler. 2 12"in JL audio subs, 1500w amp
    2002 Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 7.3L Diesel Short Bed
    2004 Chevrolet Suburban LT

Legend

check the frame for rust and corrosion. place a good mineral based rust proofing on the rusted metal . especially the cross member[s]

Take a good look at all the rubber bushings and spacers. On a 99 they should be getting a little worn and weathered.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Sway bar links Bushings and other bushings as said above..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

enkei nailed it...sway bar bushings and end links are cheap and easy to replace, and are probably getting pretty tired on a '99. I think you will like the Reflex, although a lot of times you can't really feel any diff until you have to make an emergency maneuver, after which you are glad you got new shocks.

I would check all the fluids closely. Brake fluid should be a bit tan, or light grayish-brown...dark is not good, and you can change it yourself. Tranny should be a nice reddish/pink...anything looking toward reddish/brown means it's time to change, as does any burnt smell. You proably know that oil should not be black, unless you have a diesel (if you don't know when the last oil change was, and it looks dirty, change it...$25 is good insurance, and you will be good to go for 5K miles). Check the fluid level of the rear end and transfer case.

Radiator should be a nice lime-green, or orange, depending on what is in there...in any even, it should have good color, not close to clear. I would also run a couple cans of chevron techron additive, or your other personal choice, through the fuel system just in case there is water, gunk, etc. Contrary to some beliefs, that does not constitute a "tune up in a can", but might prevent some problems, and it is cheap.

If any of these are wrong, someone will chime in, I am sure.

Master Mechanic

good luck with the shocks. I had they and regretted them right away. Love my blisten heavy duty's
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .